Clock's Ticking Guzzi

mznyc

There's a kids bike.....a squids bike, a self proclaimed holigan bike.

i had two Ducatis before my Ghezzi ( a 1989 750 Sport and a 1993 Superlight) and I loved them.

They are exhilirating bikes but they do have some serious flaws (the Superlight especially: carbs would freeze, suspension arm would break (warrantly replacement) , new battery every year, REGULATOR, and the list goes on///). Plus the Ducati stores are a real pain in the neck and the Ducati crowd can be extremely annoying (this is what you get when owning one has become a social statement among some).

But they're great, fun, fast bikes to ride.

i had two Ducatis before my Ghezzi ( a 1989 750 Sport and a 1993 Superlight) and I loved them.

They are exhilirating bikes but they do have some serious flaws (the Superlight especially: carbs would freeze, suspension arm would break (warrantly replacement) , new battery every year, REGULATOR, and the list goes on///). Plus the Ducati stores are a real pain in the neck and the Ducati crowd can be extremely annoying (this is what you get when owning one has become a social statement among some).

But they're great, fun, fast bikes to ride.

Yea...there was a short list of known problems. Regulator...replaced with a honda XL175 reg. or something.

Carb icing...'cause of the long intake...dry gas cured it.

mmmm couple of other things as easily cured. There's equaly as good Ducati Forums as this one. Kinda like relays and tranny springs. Just gotta get ahead of the curve. :mg::D

Yea...there was a short list of known problems. Regulator...replaced with a honda XL175 reg. or something.

Carb icing...'cause of the long intake...dry gas cured it.

mmmm couple of other things as easily cured. There's equaly as good Ducati Forums as this one. Kinda like relays and tranny springs. Just gotta get ahead of the curve. :mg::D

I dunno if youre as familiar with the 916-998 bikes and their equivelent 7 series but some had so many problems a few got brand new bikes there were so many warranty issues it was cheaper to hand them a new one, :lol:

Thats what stopped me from getting a 1098, I just couldn't trust Ducati on a first run, even the 999 had their share of niggles paired with the extreme cost of maint I said no way I called around and asked aprox $600 first service then $1200 then 6 then 12 thats also based on once a year and X amount of miles now if you ride enough its more like 1800 a year in general maint alone, not to mention tires and tricky bits nothing all to wrong with that it just means its out of my price range right now even tho I could afford the loan payment ^_^

but with

Guzzi couple small, often cheap,fixes off the get go then ride change oil

Aprilia few small things also cheap and easy ride change oil

Ducati- change oil, check valves, replace belts, check valves again, better replace those belts again, valve adjustment and new seals

I'm just saying I'd actually rather had the 1098 a little bit here but I'm no real mechanic and ducati scares me, turns out the new ones are more reliable and have cheaper parts and maint but still not as problem free as Aprilia and Guzzi respectively. Someday when I can afford to sign my checks right over to the ducati dealer I'll get one, but I will have one someday

side note, sat on that paul smart NO WAY you old cronies could ride one of those for more than 5 min, my wrists, legs, back, and butt all were uncomfortable after 1 min at the bike show.

:D Yea...I'm not up on the Desmoquatros

Did I not mention earlier I wouldn't have a 4 valve?

Whats the sense? How often are you going to go 170-180 mph?

130 once in a while is more than enough for me. Throw in a couple long graceful

wheelies and I'm pretty much satisfied. :D ( Yea the V11 will stand up but is neither long or graceful...the Monster on the other hand does it inadvertently )

Your going to suffer a lot for mere bragging rights with a 4 valve...

Belts?...easy easy every 12K $40...and I couldn't own a bike if I had to take it to the shop for a valve adj. Not just because of the expense but also the down time.

The candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long. :mg:

I dunno if youre as familiar with the 916-998 bikes and their equivelent 7 series but some had so many problems a few got brand new bikes there were so many warranty issues it was cheaper to hand them a new one, :lol:

Thats what stopped me from getting a 1098, I just couldn't trust Ducati on a first run, even the 999 had their share of niggles paired with the extreme cost of maint I said no way I called around and asked aprox $600 first service then $1200 then 6 then 12 thats also based on once a year and X amount of miles now if you ride enough its more like 1800 a year in general maint alone, not to mention tires and tricky bits nothing all to wrong with that it just means its out of my price range right now even tho I could afford the loan payment ^_^

but with

Guzzi couple small, often cheap,fixes off the get go then ride change oil

Aprilia few small things also cheap and easy ride change oil

Ducati- change oil, check valves, replace belts, check valves again, better replace those belts again, valve adjustment and new seals

I'm just saying I'd actually rather had the 1098 a little bit here but I'm no real mechanic and ducati scares me, turns out the new ones are more reliable and have cheaper parts and maint but still not as problem free as Aprilia and Guzzi respectively. Someday when I can afford to sign my checks right over to the ducati dealer I'll get one, but I will have one someday

side note, sat on that paul smart NO WAY you old cronies could ride one of those for more than 5 min, my wrists, legs, back, and butt all were uncomfortable after 1 min at the bike show.

So the Aprilia doesn't require valve checks or adjustment...

Cool !!!

<_>