Why Motorcyclists are Invisible on the Road

Guest ratchethack

A noisy minority of Cyclists tend not obey the rules of the road like cycling on pavements, through red lights, not stopping when coming out side streets etc etc but they dont need to undertake a test, wear a helmet, pay road tax or display a registration mark. All of which ruins their reputation as a pressure group. I never seen the moonwalking bear either. Incidentally what's the penalty for not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle in the UK?

Noisy cyclists? - nah, they are only noisy when they're walking :D

Fair play to you, you did say 'minority' :thumbsup:

Cycling on pavements - especially postmen and children :rolleyes:

Riding through red lights and not stopping coming out of side streets - are likely to pay the ultimate penalty, but like the unlit night cyclists seem to get away with it (I never get to hit one) <_>

Undertake a test, wear a helmet, pay road tax and display registration - I suppose you could get rid of cycling altogether but there are issues of polution, conjestion, health and economics to consider. :oldgit:

I think in London there is likely to be some real anti cycling propoganda as the big guns get together to scupper the Livingstone emmission charging system(sorry if this starts a hare running Jaap)

For my part Cycling is top, commuting, touring or training. :race::race::race:

The ever present risk of death or serious injury to cyclists is sanction enough. :o

The moonwalking bear 'actually jumps out at you' if you do not task yourself with the nearly impossible count that is requested. Good fun though.

Until motorcycles are 5" wide and at least 3 1/2" tall you are f****d ! plain and simple. I have had drivers pull out in front of me 3xs in 30 min. My brother-in-law gave me the best advice. RIDE AS THOUGH YOU ARE INVISIBLE ! I ride like there is a "hit" on me at all times. until things with more than 4 wheels are outlawed you are unsafe.

With this fear staring me in the face I try to have fun!!

"Ride like they are actively trying to kill you !"

Cheers

Bruce

25 years on a motorbike and 10 years working as a paramedic plus 10 years working with people with aquired brain injury still leaves me enjoying this great pursuit while never relying on my gear to make me seen.

My gear is there to help with the physics if it goes wrong and reduce fatigue and keep me warm. Riding is all about concentration in this regard. Some skills, right attitude and emotional state are also key factors.

While some colours and different pulses of light and sound can gain peoples attention, i find myself follwing cars in a 3 tonne ambulance with strobe lights and beacons waiting for the driver in front to move over. Often they get such a fright that they pull over nearly into the car adjacent (no head/mirror check etc)- Why are they surprised ? Car windows up, heater/air conditioner on, stereo on, gps on, eyes on speedo so they dont get fined and arguing with the radio/wife etc. Get in a car and your in your lounge room- you do not exist!!!!!!!!!!!

I regularly try to wear the sidewalls off my Guzzi but taking my Bicycle on the road

scares the crap out of me.

I always ride my MC like everyone else is drunk and blind.

Usually my main object for the first 20 or 30 miles is to get where there IS no one else.

It's the only cure.