Side stand

raz

Well I'm a better electrician than mechanic so with the switch in place I'm sure I'll have no problem including the neutral switch in the equation, if I want to. We'll see.

Thank you all! :mg:

I do not see big problems to double the V11 side stand circuit into a 1100 Sport. I did this once for a Centauro and it works well.

Only installing the switch that interrupts the ignition is not favorable as the engine does not run with the side stand down.

HMB in Germany sells side stand kits for the the v11 including the switch. Additionally you have to install a relay that supplies the ignition if activated. The relay will either be activated by the side stand switch if its pressed (sidestand down) or by the burnig neutral light. One change has to be made in the dashboard as the +supply for the neutral light has to come from the Ignition+, not from the + supply of the dashboard as standard. I installed the relay underneath the fuel tank where I cut the white + supply to the kill switch and connected it directly to the relay input. Details can be taken from the V11 wiring diagram.

This makes the switch perfect working like on every Jap bike: The engine runs with the sidestand down, if you touch the gear lever to insert a gear the engine stalls. And all done without electronics, just with a relay installed.

Well I'm a better electrician than mechanic so with the switch in place I'm sure I'll have no problem including the neutral switch in the equation, if I want to. We'll see.

Thank you all! :mg:

Another option is to rig it so that if the stand is down and the bike is in gear, the engine does not shut down, but the horn honks.

The advantage is that you are less likely to get stuck with the engine not running because of a faulty side stand switch, and you would not be inconvenienced by the engine stalling, just the annoyance of the horn blaring at 5AM.

Of course someone borrowing your bike may not understand why the horn is blaring, and may simply crash the bike. If it was a motorcycle thief, this could be a good thing.

Another option is to rig it so that if the stand is down and the bike is in gear, the engine does not shut down, but the horn honks.

The advantage is that you are less likely to get stuck with the engine not running because of a faulty side stand switch, and you would not be inconvenienced by the engine stalling, just the annoyance of the horn blaring at 5AM.

Of course someone borrowing your bike may not understand why the horn is blaring, and may simply crash the bike. If it was a motorcycle thief, this could be a good thing.

I like this version! :lol:

Just remember not to loan your bike to your deaf friends [yeah, I know: it's stupid that some locales will ticket you for headphones, earplugs, etc., yet deafies can still get licenses. That's just the way bureaucracy works^H^H^H^H^H... er, functio^H^H^H^H^H^H... whatever!] ;)

Ride on,

:mg:

I like this version! :lol:

Is that a laugh or a smilie ? <_>

I suppose it does have an element of humor to it, but I seriously think it is a good idea, but not as a loaner bike, especially to the hard of hearing.

I should get around to implementing it before I end up crashing...

I am so glad California stopped ticketing motorcyclists for ear plugs. It was a stupid law that probably resulted in more deaf people on the road #%$##$#!!!!! :angry:

I suppose it does have an element of humor to it, but I seriously think it is a good idea, but not as a loaner bike, especially to the hard of hearing.

I should get around to implementing it before I end up crashing...

I am so glad California stopped ticketing motorcyclists for ear plugs. It was a stupid law that probably resulted in more deaf people on the road #%$##$#!!!!! :angry:

Can you explain the earplug ticket???????????

Both: the imagery of a bike thief riding off w/ the sidestand down & horn blaring [thievery generally being an activity in which the perpetrator doesn't desire to draw attention to themselves] made me laugh; the smile was for the creativity.

Like I said, I like it I like it! :lol:

:thumbsup:

Both: the imagery of a bike thief riding off w/ the sidestand down & horn blaring [thievery generally being an activity in which the perpetrator doesn't desire to draw attention to themselves] made me laugh; the smile was for the creativity.

Like I said, I like it I like it! :lol:

:thumbsup:

Or a laugh for the Darwin award as the thief crashes :lol:

Can you explain the earplug ticket???????????

Sure:

Long ago, when the Sony Walkman was new & dinosaurs still walked the earth [or rather, land yachts still cluttered the highways], some enterprising & penurious [read "cheap b@st@rds" ;)] car drivers decided that for much less than the cost of a good car stereo, they could drive to their own choice of tunes by buying a walkman & wearing it while driving. Carnage ensued, as individuals conditioned to an auditory environment proceeded to obliterate all manner of audible warnings that they were accustomed to w/o increasing their situational awareness to compensate; in fact, they were quite willfully decreasing their level of awareness, to subsume themselves in their music while driving. Quite simply, they were performing at about the same level of road skills as today's equivalent, the noise-isolated, stereo-blasting, cell-phone using SUV-driving BDC.

Carnage & mayhem ensued, and the legislative overlords decided to pass a law [purely to save idiots from themselves, you understand!] making it illegal to wear headphones or earplugs [i believe the language was something to the effect of "anything on or over the ears besides custom hearing prosthetics"] while driving. Since the law did not [& legally, could not, w/o specific reasons, for which the legislators quite frankly couldn't care less] exempt motorcyclists, it was an easy "add on" ticket for the polizei making a stop for some other cause, real or imagined, should they observe the rider removing plugs w/ their helmet. And they always make you remove your helmet, even if it's a modular [DAMHIK.] Hence, when an officer was nearing the end of the month & in danger of not making their quota of tickets, more tix for wearing earplugs was an easy "save."

California recently classed foamies [foam earplugs] as "custom hearing prothetics" for motorcyclists, largely due to the efforts of one of the LABikers w/ a connection to a state legislator, who then wrote the proposal on the amendment, carried it thru to passage, & earned enough of my respect that I voted for her in the last election despite her belonging to the political party [the Dems, ie "Axis of Evil"] that has corrupted our state govt. to the point that California has almost totally lost all appeal for me as a place to keep living. I'm not saying that all democrats are evil, just that the political scene here in CA is out of control and that the people in power generally have no intention of doing what they know is right, only in doing what will keep them in office, and this situation is supported whole-heartedly by the party to the extent of suppressing the good people they've got in favor of demagogues who have no business in politics at any level. [/rant mode]

Anyway, it was yet another example of a stupid intrusion into personal responsibility, which fortunately has subsided somewhat due in no small part to the efforts of a fellow LABiker, whom I consider it my great good fortune to call my friend. Just remember that if they aren't custom molded earplugs or foamies, you can still get a ticket for wearing earplugs while riding in CA. That's the letter of the law, and at quota time the cops will write any ticket they can get! ;)