light issue...

V11crazed

ugghhhh.....and arrrgghhhh.....

I just got my bike back from the mechanic.....new tires, tune-up....all the good stuff that needed to be done. Been riding all week and was hoping to leave on an overnighter tomorrow.

But, riding home last night, I noticed my tach/speedo light was out....also the tail light and the plate light. The brake light did work. I haven't noticed these issues since this is the first time I have ridden the bike at night.

I'm no mechanic, but I did poke around this site and I'm getting the sense that a relay has gone out. Does this sound right? Once one goes, do they all go?

Is it safe to do the ride anyway and just make sure not to ride past dark?

Do I just suck it up and take the Honda??? :o

I've been loving the bike all week, it's so much damn fun to ride.....any suggestions folks?

Thanks tons in advance.

nancy

ps. the bike just turned 15,000 miles....magic # and yes, the speedo cable also was replaced last week....

Hi Nancy,

I agree with Paul.

Is it safe to do the ride anyway and just make sure not to ride past dark?

Nope. This happened to me, with the tach light and brake light out, as Paul stated, your battery isn't getting charged. It's a relay, and or fuse failure. It is a cheap and easy (10 minutes) fix if you can get the relays locally. The relays are located under the seat, towards the rear, on the right hand side. There are 5 of them. The fuses are directly across on the left hand side.

Do I just suck it up and take the Honda??? :o

You may have to, if you can't get relays today. :(

I am sure others will be chiming in here shortly. Good luck, and have fun on your ride!

Cheers,

Steve

Remove each fuse,hold it up to the (sun)light to see if the fuse is ok or blown.You need to own a test light and ohm meter. Have a friend ( that knows how) to show you how to use them to check continuity,voltage,etc.. Lights are usually fused and sometimes operated through relays.I am not near a wiring diagram or I could be more specific.

Heres what I found....blown fuse "5"...the little icon is the lightbulb....so looks like this is the problem....

Stupid question, but what causes a fuse to blow? Can I just buy one at an auto store??? I'm learning the life of a guzzi owner!

Anything...... replace it..ride it today and see what happens. By the way,have you washed the bike? Also buy a fuse assortment and make sure it a name brand,e.g. "BUSS" . Make sure you have extras with you or on the bike. These fuses are color coded so you won't have to spend time guessing amperage ratings!

Anything...... replace it..ride it today and see what happens. By the way,have you washed the bike? Also buy a fuse assortment and make sure it a name brand,e.g. "BUSS" . Make sure you have extras with you or on the bike. These fuses are color coded so you won't have to spend time guessing amperage ratings!

Yep, I tried one of the other 5's and that is the problem. I haven't washed the bike since I first bought it and that was well over a month ago. No rain either.

Thanks for the response....think I will call ACE hardware and see if they have some...

Heres what I found....blown fuse "5"...the little icon is the lightbulb....so looks like this is the problem....

Stupid question, but what causes a fuse to blow? Can I just buy one at an auto store??? I'm learning the life of a guzzi owner!

Don't despair. Yes, you can get fuses at any auto parts store. Something caused it though. Something as simple as a faulty bulb or maybe the mechanic popped it during his work and didn't notice. they usually come in a box of five or so, so you'll have spares. (get the same amperage, they're color coded) If you replace it and it doesn't blow instantly check that all the bulbs work and you should be fine.

Don't despair. Yes, you can get fuses at any auto parts store. Something caused it though. Something as simple as a faulty bulb or maybe the mechanic popped it during his work and didn't notice. they usually come in a box of five or so, so you'll have spares. (get the same amperage, they're color coded) If you replace it and it doesn't blow instantly check that all the bulbs work and you should be fine.

thanks Dan...just checked online and I can get a nice little kit for about 20 bucks. You may be right about the bump....see, I had both the front and rear turn signals replaced with some swank little little lights, short stalks...looks great and really cleaned up both ends....seems these things could be related?

yes that can be related with mounting new lights, maybe they make a short circuit somewhere. 20 $ for a few fuses? they cost cents each.

oh...the 20 bucks is for a little kit...7 fuses each, a little tool to test and remove....at any rate, they didn't have it.....just an fyi 80 cents apiece at ace!

thanks Dan...just checked online and I can get a nice little kit for about 20 bucks. You may be right about the bump....see, I had both the front and rear turn signals replaced with some swank little little lights, short stalks...looks great and really cleaned up both ends....seems these things could be related?

Could be related, but they are on a different fuse circuit, so not likely.

I'd look for a short in the tail lamp.

The positive contacts could have been bent to the point of shorting.

Not sure where else the short would likely be.

I thought a couple people mentioned a couple months ago, pinched wires between fender and taillight, behind the fender plastic.

Hopefully this was just a bad fuse.

Having been through about ten fuses in the course of two days riding with pretty much identical symptoms might I suggest that if nothing else is obvious check the horn feeds. Mine chafed against the horn brackets, causing a short and blowing a fuse if I so much as brushed the horn button.