Intermittant starting woes...

Fred C. Dobbs

I am having an intermittant starting problem with my '04 V11. Occasionally on start up, after two or three roll-overs the starter will grind to a stop before the engine fires up. Typically this happens when the engine is cold--never with a hot engine/oil. Sounds and acts as if the battery is low, though if I wait a minute or two then hit the starter button again, the bike usually will start. I have a new Odyssey battery that takes and holds a full charge. I had a draw-down test done on it to confirm that the battery is 100%. Checked the bikes charging output and it is just shy of 15 volts--right where is should be according to the shop manual. All the connections to the battery and at the starter are tight and clean.

At this point I am thinking that the starter (for unknown reasons) sometimes draws exccessive current, exceeding the battery's cranking capacity. Has anyone else had a similar problem, or have any ideas on how to proceed??????

Many Thanks

I am having an intermittant starting problem with my '04 V11. Occasionally on start up, after two or three roll-overs the starter will grind to a stop before the engine fires up. Typically this happens when the engine is cold--never with a hot engine/oil. Sounds and acts as if the battery is low, though if I wait a minute or two then hit the starter button again, the bike usually will start. I have a new Odyssey battery that takes and holds a full charge. I had a draw-down test done on it to confirm that the battery is 100%. Checked the bikes charging output and it is just shy of 15 volts--right where is should be according to the shop manual. All the connections to the battery and at the starter are tight and clean.

At this point I am thinking that the starter (for unknown reasons) sometimes draws exccessive current, exceeding the battery's cranking capacity. Has anyone else had a similar problem, or have any ideas on how to proceed??????

Many Thanks

1. Check the battery connections for tightness. (particularly the ground)

2. Check the starter connections for tightness. (particularly the ground)

3. Swap in known-good starter relay.

Many Thanks

That is a tough one.

Just so we are clear, 14.7 or higher charging Volts is abnormal.

Since you checked connections to starter and battery, do as Brian suggested and swap the starter relay.

Be sure neutral light is on and kickstand is up.

Rather than holding in clutch then pressing start button, try holding in start button then pull in clutch.

(not sure what that would prove, but you may get a feel for possibly bad clutch switch)

I've had the problem but my battery was pretty weak. I'm just installing a brand new Odyssey so hopefully I wont see this much more.

I think what happens right as it stops is that it fires with advance when revving too slow, effectively trying to reverse the rotation of the crankshaft. Anyway that is what it feels like when I've experienced it. Cliff's MyECU has an option to crank with firing at TDC, I believe it is a remedy for this.

The bottom line problem is, like others wrote, cranking power. Probably wiring to the starter or the solenoid, given the battery is in good shape.

• Like 1

Many Thanks

When cold, have you tried to pull the choke lever down, before trying to fire the engine up? There is no change?

Guest frankdugo

worth looking at--pull the starter, one of the easy jobs on a guzzi.see if there is any corrosion on the back cover&check brush's.after that i'd check the safety on the kickstand.make sure the black wire/white stripe that goes to 1st relay-towards front of bike is making a good conection.

Thanks for all your suggestions. The starter itself is at fault. Talked to the always helpful folks at Moto International and it seems that V11 starters somtimes (very rarely) have a problem with drawing too much current on start-up. My bike has only 5,000 miles and has never been ridden in the rain, no kidding!...so it is likely that the starter was cracker-dog from the factory, rather than a victim of corrosion. Happily I'm still under warrenty.