Need some advice

redhog

Only thing I'm going to throw into this is simply to check the driveshaft alignment as the wheel goes back in, especially if you have a shop do it who aren't familiar with the Guzzi/V11 Oddball/Heath Robinson system.

It is possible for the front and rear of the driveshaft to separate while the box dangles and the wheel is out. If the trunnions of the shaft aren't aligned properly it will cause all sorts of handling problems and place enormous strain on the entire gearbox/driveline. There is a paint mark on on the two halves of the shaft that should line up. Make sure it does when the whole thing goes back together. Since the bike isn't new it's worth checking it anyway. Who knows? The previous owner may well of sold it because it handled like a munter and that might well of been down to driveshaft misalignment. A surprising number of so-called 'Technicians' aren't aware of this and I get a load of bikes with 'Handling Problems' through my workshop where the only problem is that the tyres have been fitted by retards and the shaft is misaligned. :huh2:

Pete

Guest frankdugo

going back to supporting the bike.i have a "pit bull"rear &it works good.the trouble is a front one is needed to do the front. i'm looking for&would recomend the factory stand that also has a oil pan brace.

Ratchethack:

That is about the most elequent reply that I have ever gotten telling me to leave it to the pros.

...aren't familiar with the Guzzi/V11 Oddball/Heath Robinson system.

... because it handled like a munter and that might well of been down to driveshaft misalignment. A surprising number of so-called 'Technicians' aren't aware of this and I get a load of bikes with 'Handling Problems' through my workshop where the only problem is that the tyres have been fitted by retards and the shaft is misaligned. :huh2:

Pete

redhog, you have now had a chance to see we have both "delicate precision instruments for re-alingnment of components" and "cudgels" available, at your disposal. And they can both readily play EITHER role fluidly! Both of these charactors have given me ALOT of assistance, and both have also sent me to a dictionary just to "figer out wot the hell he just said"!!! (and some of Pete's stuff doesn't even appear in ANY "proper" wordsource a Mother might approve!) :lol: These two, and MANY more, consistently show how varied, concise and colorful the english language can be. And how this site is basically prerequisite to owning our stunning anachronisms on wheels...Good luck on your repairs, S.H. :notworthy::mg::wub:

P.S. Now you are baiting the "Oil Thread" crowd with yer AMSOIL comment too! Welcome aboard, you're gonna fit in JUST FINE :D

Guest ratchethack

Say redhog.

Here's a little idea that may have -- MAY HAVE -- prevented your entire little excursion into the sad world of moto-grief. :(

It's a cut-up old front fender from my big trailie that I installed about a year back under my "bodge guard" (search for write-up and description). It's worked like a Champ (as far as I know -- and how'm I ever gonna know? ANSWER: I don't much care, as long as I continue to run flat-free!) ;)

Notice it's always the rear tire that catches the nail, bolt, screw, wot-have-you? Think about it. -_-

NOTE: Sitting on the bike, it's much closer to the tarmac. It's worn down to fit, so it rarely touches down now.

NOTE #2: It's actually hardly noticeable in use. No one yet has even mentioned seeing it until I bring it up.

Just an idea that apparently works (so far).

post-1212-1208830035_thumb.jpg

post-1212-1209220879_thumb.jpg

Say redhog.

Here's a little idea that may have -- MAY HAVE -- prevented your entire little excursion into the sad world of moto-grief. :(

It's a cut-up old front fender from my big trailie that I installed about a year back under my "bodge guard" (search for write-up and description). It's worked like a Champ (as far as I know -- and how'm I ever gonna know? ANSWER: I don't much care, as long as I continue to run flat-free!) ;)

Notice it's always the rear that catches the nail, bolt, screw, wot-have-you? Think about it. -_-

NOTE: Sitting on the bike, it's much closer to the tarmac. It's worn down to fit, so it rarely touches down now.

NOTE #2: It's actually hardly noticeable in use. No one yet has even mentioned seeing it until I bring it up.

Just an idea that works (so far).

That looks like a pretty effective device there. It's true that the front tire stands up the nails for the rear to intercept. Having that shield standing guard is at least some prevention

I must add that your wheel and visible driveshaft parts are astoundingly clean. I guess it really doesn't ever rain in southern California.

Hi:

My brother and I used the Canadian made bike/transmission jack that I used to use on my old 94 Electra Glide to raise the bike. We used lots of 2X4, 1x4 and 4X4 pieces to shim the Guzzi. The tire came off exactly as you guys said that it would. The local Harley dealer (with whom I have spent thousands in the past) refused to change the tire citing warranty problems as I bought the tire off the web. 10 years ago they would change any tire for me no matter where I bought it but now they are geared to high profits and more business than they can handle. We ended up taking the new tire, old tire and rim to a now defunct major Indian/Ducati dealer who still maintains a repair shop. Surprisingly his business is bursting at the seams. The new tire and old rim will be ready tomorrow. I lubed the splines and the rear slip joint and U-Joint but the front one was impossible to be a grease fitting onto. I may have to leave it ungreased but then again the bike has low mileage. I am now going to search out the guy who makes deflectors on this web site to try and keep a lot of the road crap from ending up in the rear mono shock etc.

I must add that your wheel and visible driveshaft parts are astoundingly clean. I guess it really doesn't ever rain in southern California.

Sure it does. It's just that it happens so infrequently that only a fool goes out in the rain since the roads are slicker'n greased owl snot as the water lifts all the accumulated oil droppings from the cars, etc. up to the surface. It's only after the 2nd or 3rd day of rain that it's safe to ride a bike on the roads, & by that time, you're already comfortable w/ taking the car into work again, so the bike stays in the garage until the sun comes out again...

;)