Fuel consumption

big unit

The type of riding you do will have the biggest impact on fuel mileage. I just returned from an 850m run in one day.I ran at 5000 rpm or better the whole way and averaged 41mpg.I don't qoute speeds cause I know my speedo is of by 5mph at 40mph so who knows how far off it is in the upper ranges? My worst is 32 mpg on the back roads. Like Docc says,rowing the gearbox is music to my ears!!!

andy

Oh, type of riding done is definitely the biggest impact on gas mileage. Show me any of those points on the graph I posted, and I can tell you what mixture of in-city (ie, less than 50 MPH, sitting at traffic lights, etc.) riding and rural/highway riding it had. The lowest mileage comes from the most in-city riding, and the best mileage comes from the most highway-like run with no stops. The best mileage I ever got was on a high-speed (70+ MPH average) run straight up and down a freeway with exactly one stop: turning around.

In terms of acceleration, the most acceleration you normally do, the most drastic change, is going from a dead stop to moving. Makes sense that that should also take the most fuel.