Suction Cup mounting tank bag

Danno

I'm in the market for a tank bag and have not been happy with the strap mounts I've seen nor the gas cap mounts. I don't like the semi-permanent mounting hardware. They were all also bigger than I really want.

I just need a small bag to carry a few items like my wallet, phone, cigars, sun glasses, etc. I once actually zipped two t-bone steaks in my jacket on the last mile of a ride so I didn't have to go out to the grocery store after I got home. Kind of a strange feeling...hard to describe.

Anyway, I came across two different bags that mount with suction cups, a Givi and a T-bag.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1885/

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search/searc...&store=Main

Any experience with these bags or any other suction cup mount bags?

I don't have any experience with the suction cup variety. Interesting bag!!!

FWIW, the GiVi you linked is 18 liters. The "Daypack II", the "Engage Sport", and "Trip" gas cap mount bags from Twisted throttle vary between 3.5 liters and 15 liters.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/317/

I think the suction cup idea is great. Hope someone tries the Genesis bag on a V11 and reports back. Might even be worth contacting the company and seeing if they have any comments regarding fit on the early V11s.

Any experience with these bags or any other suction cup mount bags?

:nerd:

You'll notice both bags have strap mount attachments; that's 'cause suction cups are inevitably a short-term solution [they let go.] While a purposely-designed suction cup mount would probably have satisfactory reliability[1], I think a better long-term solution would be to epoxy some steel tabs in appropriate spots on your tank and use a magnetic bag. :luigi:

If you pursue the suction-cup mounted bag, I strongly advise you to obtain some glycerin or use liquid soap [high glycerin fraction] on the cups; it won't dry out as rapidly as water will, and so the cups will continue holding that much longer. But it *will* eventually dry out too, & if it happens at speed on the freeway, it'll be "bye bye tank bag, it was nice to know ya..." :o

Ride on,

:bike:

[1] Quality, cam-lever suction cups mounted w/ a particular tank in mind so that they have a nice, flat surface to glom onto. Ever notice how nicely rounded & almost completely devoid of flat surfaces a v11 tank is? Part of what makes them look so sexy & organic... ;)

Thanks for the input. Good point on drying out of the suction cups. I'm going to order the T-bag and let you know how it goes. I have a 2004 so the rubber pad on the tank is not an issue for me.

The t-bag is smaller than the Givi and I figure the less flopping around in the wind the better.