Finding TDC

cycdude6

Hey all,

Trying to do a valve check and adjustment and had to find TDC with a screwdriver as the Mandello manglers didn't bother to put any marks on the flywheel. What's a frustated V11 owner to do? Is there a pill for this affliction?

John

Guest ratchethack

Yep. You're already takin' that pill, John. Using a screwdriver thru the plug hole to feel for TDC is as accurate as you'll ever need for setting valves. The base circle of the cam at TDC will keep those valves as closed as they get thru far far more than enough degrees of rotation so you needn't be spot-on. :thumbsup:

EDIT! YIKES!! I made this same mistake once a few years back (corrected above -- "closed", NOT "open"!!). It brought down the rightful wrath of the Barrister of Bungendore, and I was subsequently -- and properly! -- chastized and banished to the bowels of bedlam. . . :(

My apologies. Hopefully I've corrected meself in time! :blush:

The EASIEST procedure you can ever use is : #1 Remove both valve covers and spark plugs. #2 If you can raise the (suspend) rear wheel and put the trans. in high gear. Use the rear wheel to rotate the engine to get one (either) cylinder to come up to TDC. This will be witnessed by the ex. valve closing and the int. valve opening.This is also known as valve overlap. #3 Go to the opposite side and adjust those valves. Rotate the rear wheel til the same thing happens to this cyl. overlap occurs. #4 Adjust the valves on the other side.

Good luck! this is easier the more you do it.....

Guest frankdugo

i know the boys can be aggravating sometimes,but are you sure there,s no marks?s-left.d-right.the engine must be cold.

Hey all,

Trying to do a valve check and adjustment and had to find TDC with a screwdriver as the Mandello manglers didn't bother to put any marks on the flywheel. What's a frustated V11 owner to do? Is there a pill for this affliction?

John

Check valves?? :o

This all I do, as there's nothing on my flywheel either. Lucklily, the only time I've ever had to actually adjust the tappets was when I adhered to the advice of members of this forum to change clearances from North American clearances to European clearances. They havn't moved since, 35,000 kms.

Steve

i know the boys can be aggravating sometimes,but are you sure there,s no marks?s-left.d-right.the engine must be cold.

You're right, there is a mark on the flywheel, or rather there will be when I take a sledge hammer and screwdriver to it so's I can bring the bike up to (or down to) eyetalian standards. Hey, I'm starting to find some humor since joining the Moto Guzzi Masochist's Club!