alternator cover looks bad...

bridgepress

The alternator cover of my 2003 LeMans is bubbling up from under the silver paint and is rather ugly looking. Is there a replacement available (chrome, unpainted aluminum, carbon fiber). Anyone have a part number?

Thanks,

Brian

I don't understand "bubbling", but mine looked pretty rough. An autumn afternoon with a beer, some paint stripper, wire wheel, and polishing compound produced a fine polished cover from under the muck. It's stayed nice for a couple of years and is easy enough to touch up when the time comes. If time is money, buying a new one may be cheaper overall - but it doesn't seem the place for carbon fiber. Each to his own in this case.

but it doesn't seem the place for carbon fiber.

Actually, this would be one of the few instances where the CF part does make sense! CF parts are efficient transmitters of heat [transparent to infra-red?]; anyway, heat kills electronics, so a cooler alternator can only be a good thing. The effective wt. difference is negligible btw CF or alloy covers, but if it wasn't so dang ex$pen$ive, I'd go for the CF part.

But given I'm cheap, I'd go w/ cleaning up the stock cover... ;)

... - but it doesn't seem the place for carbon fiber. Each to his own in this case.

Had the same prob with my Scura - got a CF cover from Corsa Italiana and it looks excellent - STR it cost about £100 - pricey, but has kept its good looks for over 3 years now. Of course, the Scura comes stock with a lot of CF, so it DOES seem the place for it! Plus - it has stainless bolts, so they came out with no probs!

Bridgepress (where did you get that name from?!?) if you want contact details for Corsa Italiana let me know.

Robin