Metallic Red Valve Cover Paint?

Greg Field

Theres a metallic red color available in the Testors model paints that is a good match for touch up. Also, there is a metallic red aerosol that Ive seen at AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts that looks to be close.

For the tank and body with the gorgeous candied vampire red, I'd think you'd have to do a silver base and cover it with a few layers of dark transparent red, or some process like that.

But for the chops and hooter caps, it looks like a duller faux anodize style finish. I am not sure a candied color is what you want to search for.

It is a pretty unusual red. shifting more to orange than magenta compared to most reds.

Atleast judging by this photo.

http://take-jp.org/guzzi/guzzist/199.jpg199.jpg

I am pretty sure that is not the answer you wanted, and a paint code is what you need....sorry, can't help, but I thought I would waste some bandwidth :P

Are you sure that it is paint and not anodizing? Anodizing can have a Candy look, and it can vary in color between batches and alloys. If parts are in the tank longer the color will be darker. It can also fade over time especially when exposed to sunlight, chemicals, and possibly heat.

I haven't seen any of these in person, but I would say that if the inside of the valve covers are the same color than it's probably anodized.

The valve covers and pork chops are some kinda paint. They do look like anodizing but its more of a paint coating that easily chips off.

Only sh-t Anodizing fades like that. :D

Oxygen has its way with other finishes too, not just anodized aluminum. Can't hate it too much, since we can't live without it! ;)

It's been pretty well established by higher authorities than myself that the coating is paint. Detail pictures of crashed valve covers pretty quickly dispels any illusion that it's anodizing. :nerd: