Issue with starting

nudemetalz

Got the V11 out this morning.

Cranked her over and then an almighty backfire went off !!

Then she started on only one cylinder. Had a whistling type noise coming from the engine, but thought that just may be one cylinder not running noise.

Thought it may just have been a grubby plug so stopped and started again, No clear, so did this a couple of times without it clearing when then it just wanted to rev it's nuts out.

Stopped, started again, one cylinder, then copious revs.

This is all I need !!!

So checked the cables, they're fine. Checked operation of throttle, all good.

I give up !!!!!!!!!

So, going to call bike shop to come and get her to fix her.

Any ideas before I do this?

The only thing I did to her last night was a little more oil in the engine (doing the change on the weekend, well was going to) and did the rear diff oil change.

Didn't touch anything else.

Thanks for any help,

Guest ratchethack

Sounds like the backfire may've wrapped the throttle plate around its shaft on one side. I'd check this first. :luigi:

Guest ratchethack
Thanks.

Is this a difficult job?

(ie anything specific to watch out for)

Not at all difficult to check. Fixin' it is a different matter. Assuming you still have the airbox, loosen the clamp on the rubber intake runner between the TB and the air box on the side that backfired, and carefully break the seal at the TB. They can be stubborn, and are prone to crack if you're not careful. Then just slide the intake runner back into the air box and have a gander at the throttle plate. A small mirror may help. If the plate is bent, it'll be pretty obvious. If so, you have a relatively low-cost (if'n you don't break anything, possibly $0 ;) ), but semi-finnicky, quasi-high effort project to get that bent plate out, get it as straight as possible again, and re-installed. A balance of the TBs will certainly be in order. No way I can see to get the plate out for straightening without having the TB off the bike. Not too tough, though.

Good luck. Any more Q's, post 'em here. :luigi:

or blown the TB out of the boot.

And this is easy to fix: loosen the clamp, push the boot on, tighten the clamp.

The tune-up will keep it from happening again.

Look down at the throttle body to see if one has pulled back off the head.

And that's exactly what it was.

The RHS TB blew out of the intake boot.

So, loosened all the clamps, pushed it back in, retightened and she's a goer !!!

I really would not have expected to have to look there,......only Guzzi's ay !!!

Thanks for all your help, guys !!!

:D