Another New Zealander

Guest Cooch

Guest Cooch

Hi, I am a new member living in Otago (below 45 degrees South) in New Zealand's South Island among many miles of deserted primo motorcycling roads.

I have a 2003 V11 Scura, previously I owned a really nice yellow 1100 Sport Injected and enjoyed over 50 000 km of trouble free riding. Unfortunately the Scura, which I bought used is not proving as good. The odometer stopped working on the ride home and starting was a hit and miss affair.

I traced the starting problem to a micro switch at the clutch lever which was easily fixed by removing the switch and joining the wires together. I haven't fixed the odometer yet. Reading this site these both seem like common problems.

Last time I rode my bike it started making a loud noise whenever I tried to use 1st, 3rd and 5th gear. I remembered that the V11 uses a 4 shaft gear box and decided it had run a bearing on one of the 2 layshafts. This was confirmed once I started to strip it down. The bearing cage on the rear bearing of the top layshaft had collapsed allowing the balls to escape from their race ending up taking some of the case with them (fortunately not destroying it).

From this website it would appear that this is not a common problem.

So anyway my lovely Scura is presently in many pieces in my garage and after making 3 special tools to loosen the lockrings on the gear shafts and a special press to remove the spring unit on the drive shaft I am now in the process of sourcing new bearings (15 altogether) and then I can start to put it all back together again. Just in time for winter!

I like Moto Guzzi as they are a nice simple bike which I can look after myself, great to see there are so many others out there who think like this too.

I like them too because they look and sound good and are great fun to ride. Not many bikes comunicate to you quite like a Guzzi does. Ride hard ride long!!

Congratulations on your bike purchase and condolonces on the hard luck. NZ has the best inventors and fabricators on the planet. I'm sure your fellow countrymen will help if possible. When you get it lined out, WOW!!!!!!