whining noise

Guest eddy

as i am riding my guzzi sport 1100 it makes a sound like a car in reverse it only happens under load as soon as i let go of the throttle the sound disappears any clues?

as i am riding my guzzi sport 1100 it makes a sound like a car in reverse it only happens under load as soon as i let go of the throttle the sound disappears any clues?

Are you sure it's coming from the gearbox and not the final drive? [Hard to diagnose sounds over the internet, anyway. ^_^ ]

Best of luck; hopefully Pete or Greg will weigh in w/ some likely suspects...

I would bet it comes from your gearbox.Have you noticed any large amount of metalflakes on the magnet of the drainplug?

If it changes in sound over time or becomes louder you might want to open up the gearbox and have a look. There are a few topics about this on the www.wildguzzi.com forum.Do a search for "wining" and you will find a thred that i started when i heard the same noise on my 1100sport i gearbox.My noise was increasing and i heard it on all gears.

I ended up changing the whole gearbox to a Centauro dito with some new bearings in it.

But that is the worst case scenario.

-Anders

Since you mentioned the reverse gear of a car: there is an important similarity between the reverse gear in most cars and the gears in an 1100 Sport gearbox - they are straight cut. So even a brand new one will make that particular noise. But if it gets worse or you hear other wierd noises, by all means investigate.

I believe the gears in the Sport gearboxes is weaker than most other Guzzi ones, not because of straight cut but because of quality problems. Use good oil (like Redline Shock Proof Heavy), change it often and like Anders said, give the magnet some extra attention when you do.

The whining is because of the straight cut 'box. Perfectly normal for an early 1100. I must admit I kind of like it. Contrary to popular belief the straight cut are not weaker than the helical cut 'boxes, however, the 5th gear suffers from oil starvation for some reason and tends to destroy the gearbox casing when it self destructs. Last I heard, Agostini sold helical cut 5th gears for the 1100, but I haven't investigated for my two straight cut boxes yet....

P.S. having said that they will probably go very soon..... :mg:

One more thing to check is your rear wheel bearings. Get the bike up on a stand and see if the wheel wiggles from side to side. Before my bearing(s) munched I also heard a whining noise, much like you described.

Guest eddy

i drained the oil from the bevel box and struck silver bearing behind the big crown wheel was worn out the balls had flat spots and the needle bearing was in bad shape .amazing that all bearing sizes are the same as a bevel box from a 850 t series guzzi a had the bearing in spare from my t 5

gr ed

Guest ratchethack

OUTSTANDING, Ed! Nicely done. :thumbsup:

REMEMBER:

Whenever possible, It's always best to keep every Guzzi a No Whining Zone. :P

post-1212-1209679238.jpg