How is a new bike prepped?

dlapierre

Let me first preface my query with this:

I'm really upset that I can't buy a new Guzzi from select US dealers. I continue to be impressed with their participation on this and the Wild Guzzi forums and their willingness to help. I would love to reciprocate. But, unfortunately Moto Guzzi is one of those manufacturers that will not provide the necessary information to the Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles that would let me buy from a US dealer. And, I know little enough about the Canadian dealers in this region that I have little confidence in the ones around here.

I wrote to both Guzzi distributers, US and Canada asking why this import limitation existed and got no response. In contrast, I got a response from Triumph, UK, saying no problem, not only could I buy anywhere, but could get warranty service regardless of what country it was bought in. But, I want another Guzzi, not a Triumph. I'm smittten.

Anyway, based on Pete Roper's description about how he is prepping his new bike, I wonder, first off, if it is possible to buy a new Guzzi right in the crate and do my own prepping. I also wonder what, exactly, that prepping would amount to.

Is there assembly work? Do dealers normally adust the valves, gap the plugs, balance the injectors, etc.? Is there anything that the average guy with a decent set of tools and common mechanical sense couldn't do himself?

Dennis

Look, this is a very hard question to give a definitive answer to.

Back when I was working at a dealer I did an awful lot of PD's. Thing is that once you got to KNOW what you needed to do you could usually get a bit more relaxed about going as over the top as I did with my ne 8V. The thing is the 8V is a NEW model and I've had to PD exactly ONE of them. Mine. I certainly wasn't going to simply assume that everything was honky-dory straight out of the box, but this IS the way most marques bikes are PD's. You simply stick the battery and fuel in and press the button. With models with big fairings and the like you will usually have to do some panelwork assembley and sometimes the front wheel won't be fitted.

With any Guzzi though I would, if I sold them, do the minimum I did with my 8V. Why? Because it doesn't take long, it means that I KNOW that things are right and I can be sure that I have done everything I can to ensure that the customer, (Who is ater all giving *me* as he sees it an awfully big chunk of money.) rides away happy!

It is important to remember that motorbikes aren't built by engineers or mechanics. They are built by production line workers who may have very few skills and little understanding of how their individual tasks will effect the 'Whole'. Also if you haven't done any production line work you'll have no idea how shit-boring it is, (One of my first jobs was on the production line at a vacuum cleaner factory, you have no idea how boring THAT was!) t's hard to ensure people remain suitably motivated to be super-dilligent and mistakes WILL be made. For that reason until I have a good grasp on what are the common set up glitches or otherwise I'd do what I did to mine. If they all started showing up as well set up then I'd drop the bits I didn't see as neccessary.

As for the new bikes? Well, my 1100 Griso came with it's wheel out, it's bars off and sideways on the tank, no mirrors or bar ends and a few other little things. My 8V was only missing mirrors and bar ends, wheel was in etc. Battery is shipped dry so you have to wet it up and install it and then set up the dashboard to your liking and programme the keys etc.

Pete

Let me first preface my query with this:

I'm really upset that I can't buy a new Guzzi from select US dealers. I continue to be impressed with their participation on this and the Wild Guzzi forums and their willingness to help. I would love to reciprocate. But, unfortunately Moto Guzzi is one of those manufacturers that will not provide the necessary information to the Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles that would let me buy from a US dealer. And, I know little enough about the Canadian dealers in this region that I have little confidence in the ones around here.

I wrote to both Guzzi distributers, US and Canada asking why this import limitation existed and got no response. In contrast, I got a response from Triumph, UK, saying no problem, not only could I buy anywhere, but could get warranty service regardless of what country it was bought in. But, I want another Guzzi, not a Triumph. I'm smittten.

Anyway, based on Pete Roper's description about how he is prepping his new bike, I wonder, first off, if it is possible to buy a new Guzzi right in the crate and do my own prepping. I also wonder what, exactly, that prepping would amount to.

Is there assembly work? Do dealers normally adust the valves, gap the plugs, balance the injectors, etc.? Is there anything that the average guy with a decent set of tools and common mechanical sense couldn't do himself?

Dennis

I can hear and understand your frustration regarding the current import situation. For any non-Canadians, I'll just say we are presently getting royally screwed my Moto Guzzi. Totally #@$&@#@!

Perhaps you should seek the advice of forum member Greg Field, current team member at Moto International. I seem to remember MI owner Dave Richardson used to be able to get Moto Guzzis in to Canada pre yr 2000, when the products from Mandello del Lario were outright banned!!

Steve

I can't remember the specifics, but I think model year 2005 is the cut-off year after which we could no longer send a bike to Canada. I know for a fact that we sent a bunch of '04 Cafe Sports and Ballabios to the Great White North.

Here's the deal. 2005 was the last year that Guzzi entered its models on the list of bikes approved for importation into0 Canada. The result of this is that all 2006 and later Guzzis can only be registered in Canada if bought through the Canadian Guzzi network.