Engine blown second time on v11 with 4000 miles. 3 yrs old. Moto Guz

loteqv11Naked

See Topic Title.

I have a 2004 v11 sport cafe bought in June 2005. I drove it for 900 kms, and then Cam went on it. (less than 6 weeks into owning the bike). They fixed it under warranty in about 4 weeks, and I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Ive had this thing in for every service, and spring service from dealer every year. I bought the Guzzi Ti Exhaust system.

Suffice to say I love Guzzi bikes. I converted at least 3 of my friends. I wear Guzzi golf shirts.

So now I have the same problem. Ive taken it to a Guzzi shop here in Vancouver, the tappets are gone and the cam is deformed on 3 out of 4 places. The mechanic says its been happening probably over the last 2000 kms, and Ive only put 600 kms on the bike in the last year. (Total of 6300kms now)

Ive been in touch with Guzzi through the dealer and they denied a warranty claim as Im a year out of warranty now. I think they need the chance to do the right thing and help me out with this. Im a loyal customer and love this bike, and they would have sold me bikes for the next 50 years (I am 29). They need to do the right thing, or lose me as a customer and possibly a lot of others as I take a lot of pride in getting people excited about Guzzi bikes.

Im pretty unimpressed.

Any advice for me?? Any contacts at Guzzi?

Much thanks for any help.

See Topic Title.

I have a 2004 v11 sport cafe bought in June 2005. I drove it for 900 kms, and then Cam went on it. (less than 6 weeks into owning the bike). They fixed it under warranty in about 4 weeks, and I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Ive had this thing in for every service, and spring service from dealer every year. I bought the Guzzi Ti Exhaust system.

Suffice to say I love Guzzi bikes. I converted at least 3 of my friends. I wear Guzzi golf shirts.

So now I have the same problem. Ive taken it to a Guzzi shop here in Vancouver, the tappets are gone and the cam is deformed on 3 out of 4 places. The mechanic says its been happening probably over the last 2000 kms, and Ive only put 600 kms on the bike in the last year. (Total of 6300kms now)

Ive been in touch with Guzzi through the dealer and they denied a warranty claim as Im a year out of warranty now. I think they need the chance to do the right thing and help me out with this. Im a loyal customer and love this bike, and they would have sold me bikes for the next 50 years (I am 29). They need to do the right thing, or lose me as a customer and possibly a lot of others as I take a lot of pride in getting people excited about Guzzi bikes.

Im pretty unimpressed.

Any advice for me?? Any contacts at Guzzi?

Much thanks for any help.

The shop in Vancouver sounds unresponsive. Take it to the Guzzi shop in Chilliwack,they may have a different attitude.

Oh, and when the cam gets changed again, make sure they put new tappets. I've heard of alot of cams being replaced using the old lifters!!

And don't break the cam in using synthetic oil. They won't mate, it's too slippery.

Steve

Camshaft preparayion,assembly, installation and break-in is the most critical portion of the lifetime of a camshaft. If new lifters are not installed with a new camshaft you are asking for trouble. Assembly lube should be used on the journals and lobes when installing a used or new cam.Cams are USUALLY bulletproof parts. I might question assembly procedures too.

Also a hydraulic v solid camshaft has a different grind on the cam lobe. The solid lifter cam lobe is flat in that is perpendicular(sp) to the cam and a hydraulic lifter has a small taper to cause the lifter to spin in it's bore. The same goes for the lifter face (bottom) in that the solid cam is flat and the hdraulic has a convex face to it.

p.s. any cam with a follower,rocker arm,etc. that runs on the cam is going to have lobes like the solid lifter cam.

The new cam Guzzi will supply now is the Breva 1100 cam. It has oiling holes on the side of each base circle. INSIST on new tappets for all positions. If Guzzi isn't paying for it, consider getting a Megacycle x9 cam.

Finally, what oil are you using? Find one that is SG rated.

Camshaft preparayion,assembly, installation and break-in is the most critical portion of the lifetime of a camshaft. If new lifters are not installed with a new camshaft you are asking for trouble. Assembly lube should be used on the journals and lobes when installing a used or new cam.Cams are USUALLY bulletproof parts. I might question assembly procedures too.

Also a hydraulic v solid camshaft has a different grind on the cam lobe. The solid lifter cam lobe is flat in that is perpendicular(sp) to the cam and a hydraulic lifter has a small taper to cause the lifter to spin in it's bore. The same goes for the lifter face (bottom) in that the solid cam is flat and the hdraulic has a convex face to it.

p.s. any cam with a follower,rocker arm,etc. that runs on the cam is going to have lobes like the solid lifter cam.

Guzzi cams have the taper on the lobes, and the tappets have a convex face, even though they are non-hydraulic.

I am sorry for my ramblings this a.m. All ROLLER type lifters are flat with no taper. All lifters that are non-roller type are tapered.

I stand corrected! Thank you Greg.

I contacted Megacycle about a x9 cam and they say they dont know anything. They give me two numbers, one for a MG in wisconsin, and he doesnt sell them anymore and doesnt really want to share with me why.. !

Microrich in pensylvania is the other guy left him a message.. any other ideas?

Improper heat treatment can lead to premature lobe wear, but if the cam is made right and the lobes get wiped out there's either a lubrication problem or the lifters weren't replaced with the cam. That's pretty unfortunate that it happened twice though.