Seat rebuilding: Spencers vs Rich Maund

jhh

So, my ass still hurts after about a month of having my Ballabio. I have two choices for seats: Rich Maund (who appears to be very highly regarded), or Spencer's (greatdaytoride.com).

Now Rich seems to do a lot more work, so that's the obvious choice, but now budget plays into it: My dog destroyed my Cycleport jacket and pants this weekend, so now I need a new set (~800$ USD). My fault, I left it out where the dog could get to it and I know how much she loves to chew on things. On top of that, I've also made a commitment to have the bike repainted*, and just ordered some shiny carbon fiber bits and CRG billet mirrors. Luggage is probably happening in the near future too. Oh yeah, and it's tax season here too. Spencer's is a lot cheaper, and someone here said the gel packs he uses don't retain heat very badly.

I've only found one mention of Spencer's service here. Does anyone here have experience with his services? Do they hold up well? How is it compared to Rich's work?

* I'm waffling between Scura clone, Shiny 'n black, or black/grey like Diesel's bike. Oh god they're all so nice. Do I have to buy three more V11s now so I can have them all? Maybe a matte black Jackal would be nice too. I don't have room in my garage for these. Suggestions, anyone?

Edit: The destroyer of clothing - she's six months old in this picture, and now about 11 and somewhat larger. Erica is 5'6" for comparison.

DSC_0028.png

I am sure Rich does a great job but I have only had experience with Spencers. Low price, super quality and fast turnaround. Worked for me.

No experience with Spencer's, but Rich has built two seats for me. He will go out of his way to make sure youre satisfied.

So, my ass still hurts after about a month of having my Ballabio. I have two choices for seats: Rich Maund (who appears to be very highly regarded), or Spencer's (greatdaytoride.com).

Now Rich seems to do a lot more work, so that's the obvious choice, but now budget plays into it: My dog destroyed my Cycleport jacket and pants this weekend, so now I need a new set (~800$ USD). My fault, I left it out where the dog could get to it and I know how much she loves to chew on things. On top of that, I've also made a commitment to have the bike repainted*, and just ordered some shiny carbon fiber bits and CRG billet mirrors. Luggage is probably happening in the near future too. Oh yeah, and it's tax season here too. Spencer's is a lot cheaper, and someone here said the gel packs he uses don't retain heat very badly.

I've only found one mention of Spencer's service here. Does anyone here have experience with his services? Do they hold up well? How is it compared to Rich's work?

* I'm waffling between Scura clone, Shiny 'n black, or black/grey like Diesel's bike. Oh god they're all so nice. Do I have to buy three more V11s now so I can have them all? Maybe a matte black Jackal would be nice too. I don't have room in my garage for these. Suggestions, anyone?

Edit: The destroyer of clothing - she's six months old in this picture, and now about 11 and somewhat larger. Erica is 5'6" for comparison.

DSC_0028.png

Rich Maund all the way, he does a great job and it sure is comfy

edit- your dog is just a pup, half the size of my 200lb lap dog

DSC_1805.jpg

for comparison thats a 500lb moto guzzi he's nearly the same size as :lol:

• 1 month later...
I'm not familiar with Spencers, but wasn't there another company that was rebuilding seats. I think the name started with the letter B. Is Rich Maund still active doing the V11 seats?

Rich can do any seat, he doesn't live or die by V11's or he would have died a long time ago :lol:

to be fair most rebuilders are as good and if yours is a local job might want to save on shipping which is a huge part of the expense.