Better Resale, '01 V-11 Sport or '05 Bonnie T-100

Guest Road Weazel

Guest Road Weazel

OK, here's what I've gotten myself into. I bought a new truck and told the wife that I'd sell off a bike to offset the credit cards.

I own the Guzzi and the previous owner wants the Guzzi back. He's offering an '05 Bonnie T-100 for trade.

V-11 is green with the red frame, has the Guzzi Ti pipes and 13,000 miles, altho it hasn't been ridden much over the past 2 years.

Bonnie has pipes and a re-jet and 6,500 miles. This is the top-o-the-line Bonnie (except for maybe the America).

Which one of these bikes can I make more $$ on in the next couple of weeks?

Thanx.

Weazel

I believe that the Bonneville will sell quicker. T100s are popular.

As far as price of the two bikes goes, I'd suggest a little research to determine if you're really looking at an "even trade" with your friend.

You'll be looking at title and licence fees if you make the swap, so account for that. Also the delay in getting the new title in your name if you make the swap.

Guest Road Weazel

As far as price of the two bikes goes, I'd suggest a little research to determine if you're really looking at an "even trade" with your friend.

You'll be looking at title and licence fees if you make the swap, so account for that. Also the delay in getting the new title in your name if you make the swap.

Titles are a 30 minute deal around here, and I'd probably not even transfer it into my name. The Guzzi needs tags right now anyway and that's $80...

The problem I'm having is that both bikes are somewhat uncommon, so I can't get a 'fair market value' for either...

Thanx for the input.

Weazel

FWIW, I wouldn't buy a bike from you if it wasn't titled in your name.

Where I live, the bill of sale and the name on the title have to match.

You'll be sending up red flags to potential buyers.

Speaking of red flags, selling a bike that you just "traded for" will probably be a red flag for many buyers.

Why not have your buddy sell his Bonnie himself, then have him buy your Guzzi from you ?????

Win-Win for you both and less work for you...

Guest Road Weazel

Thanx for the input, it's all good info.

A bill of sale is useless here, all the MVD (or DMV) cares about is that the title is signed by the seller and a notary public (the seller must sign in the presence of the notary). I see what you're saying about the red flags but I don't think it'll be much of an issue.

I promised Mrs. Weazel that I'd sell the Guzzi if I bought the truck and as much as I love the Guzzi, I hardly ride it. With the Valkyrie and my commuter KLR650 the V-11 just sits. Trust me, I'm plotting and scheeming to find a way to keep it but I need to raise some cash to pay down the CC bills. I really think that if I traded for the Bonnie I'd be plotting and scheeming to find a way to keep it as well (Weazel loves Triumphs as well). It's a beautiful bike and I haven't had one before. My goal in life is to someday own one of every bike ever made, and I'm well on my way to achieving it :P

I need to remind myself that it's just a 'thing', and I can get another one someday...

Thanx again.

Weazel

FWIW, I wouldn't buy a bike from you if it wasn't titled in your name.

Where I live, the bill of sale and the name on the title have to match.

You'll be sending up red flags to potential buyers.

Speaking of red flags, selling a bike that you just "traded for" will probably be a red flag for many buyers.

Why not have your buddy sell his Bonnie himself, then have him buy your Guzzi from you ?????

Win-Win for you both and less work for you...

"I bought a new truck"

There's your problem, unless you bought a really specialized truck that you use for work. Buying a new vehicle is a lousy way to get out of debt. With gas approaching $4 a gallon low mileage used trucks are for sale all over place around here. The owners can't get rid them.

Sorry for preaching a bit there... -_-

I'm with Rocker59 on the trade thing. I wouldn't buy a bike that didn't have the seller's name on the title.

If you do get the bonnie please let us know how you like it compared to your V11.

On the topic of trucks: Toyota is doing a silent recall on 95 - 2000 Tacomas due to frame rot. If the owner has rust perforations on the frame they are giving them a free loaner vehicle and buying the trucks back for 100% blue book value - excellent condition. I know 4 people who did this in the last month. A friend at work just got $13,500 for a '99 with over 200,000 miles on it, and it wasn't in great shape. He feels like he hit the lottery.

Guest Road Weazel

Yeah, the new truck payment of $260 just means that I need to get rid of the $250 per month in CC bills. I stepped out of a truck that got 13mpg into one that gets about 18 or 19 (maybe more) so there was some justification. That's almost a 45% increase in fuel economy.

I think I'll do the trade since his Bonnie is cleaner than my Guzzi, with lower miles. The V-11 has a few dings in the ti cans and some scuffs on the body. These could be deal a hitch in a sale.

I also have had 3 Hinckley Triumphs in the past but they've all been the 885 liquid cooled bikes. It'd be nice to play with a Bonnie for a week or two.

With any luck I can get a nice used V-12 Breva Sport in another year or two. I really like those and they seem to be a little more powerful and a little less quirky.

If I really need 'quirky' I still have my Harley Sprints, '71 MZ and my '99 Gas Gas...

Thanx again.

Weazel

"I bought a new truck"

There's your problem, unless you bought a really specialized truck that you use for work. Buying a new vehicle is a lousy way to get out of debt. With gas approaching $4 a gallon low mileage used trucks are for sale all over place around here. The owners can't get rid them.

Sorry for preaching a bit there... -_-

:stupid:

Since you don't care which you sell, you just want to get the most $$ as fast as possible out of a quick sale, I'd do the trade [making your friend happy] and turn around & sell the Bonnie [making your wife happy] and pay down the cc bill w/ the cash from the sale [making you happy] and don't look back. Especially if you're not riding the Guzzi, it doesn't make sense to hold on to it...

Guest Road Weazel
I will second Dave Ramsey. If you can get on board with his plan, which is just common sense. You will win!! Live like no one else so in the future you can live like no one else.!!

I'd like to thank you fine citizens for suggesting Mr. Ramsey and trying to save me from certain financial ruin, although I think my original question was a comparison of salability between two different motorcycles. :nerd:

I went ahead and made the trade. I honestly don't care which bike I sell and, while the the Guzzi is sexier to me and my son, the Triumph may have a wider audience. An unexpected bonus is that my wife saw the Bonnie and found it to be simply beautiful. She was seriously 'taken' by the Bonnie's classic lines, black and white paint, hand drawn pinstriping and chrome. She looked at me and said, "You did this on purpose! You traded for a bike that you knew I'd love..." Seeing the Bonnie has rekindled her interest in getting her own smaller streetbike and riding more. She's kind of a 'Nervous Nelly' on the roads so maybe this could be the motivation that she needs. The Bonnie still needs to go (if it were a Thruxton or a Scrambler I'd reconsider, the Scrambler makes me feel just like a little gurl) but maybe we can get her a used Suzuki Savage for cheap a little later on.

All the best!

Weazel

:nopic:

RightFront.JPG

Odo.JPG

Left.JPG