Is this a bad earth?

Molly

2000 V11 in regular use and been fine. Turned the key to return from a ride out today and the instrument lights were faint. Noticed one dimmed more as I touched the brake. Started OK and got me home (possibly running more hesitantly but could be my paranoia). Still starts OK but instrument lights all but out now. New battery and battery tender in use.

Any thoughts? The TT is just around the corner and I’d hate to be bikeless.

Many thanks.

Brian.

As badmotogooser said i would start by checking all my gounds and work my way around from there

Good luck

Brent

Would anybody have a list of their locations at all? Hope that's not a stupid question.

Sounds a little like a problem I had with my V11. The main earth is tracable straight from the earth of the battery and runs down ending around the rear centre of the engine. Roughly in line with the rear tyre. Fiddled with that and all appeared ok. But it was a red herring because it was the dreaded relay problem. Chck other threads for that. Hope that this helps

The Foggster

Sounds a little like a problem I had with my V11. The main earth is tracable straight from the earth of the battery and runs down ending around the rear centre of the engine. Roughly in line with the rear tyre. Fiddled with that and all appeared ok. But it was a red herring because it was the dreaded relay problem. Chck other threads for that. Hope that this helps

The Foggster

Thanks for that. I have a spare relay so can chop and change it until I find the problem.

:-)

Guest frankdugo

it would seem that you have the common veglia problem.dont blame guzzi this time! the lights for the tack & speedo are in a metal base ,which is used for ground{earth}they are snug fit to the housing's from whence the ground derives via the left handelbar switch.vibration causes the bulb and or base to lose contact. silicone has kept mine in place with no further problems

Before I got too deep into things I thought I'd swap out the relays with the spare one I have. Got to the second one ('Lights' I believe) and all seems back to normal.

These relays are £16 each here in the Isle of Man!!! That's about $30US. Could anybody recommend a source for reliable, good-quality ones so I can keep spares with me?

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Before I got too deep into things I thought I'd swap out the relays with the spare one I have. Got to the second one ('Lights' I believe) and all seems back to normal.

These relays are £16 each here in the Isle of Man!!! That's about $30US. Could anybody recommend a source for reliable, good-quality ones so I can keep spares with me?

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Pm Ryland he has a sorce for good relays

Got my relays from Pyro Dan - www.dpguzzi.com - they are GEIs, which seem to be better than Siemens at least. Also very cheap, even including postage from USA. Dan will sell you the whole lot for less than the price you paid for one.

Thanks again. I'll follow up your links as soon as the wife gets home with my credit card (if there's anything left on it...).

Hope my fix turns out to be the fix and not just a swap that coincided with the bad earth temporarily fixing itself. We'll see...