The Mandello Meteor runs at El Mirage

Guest ratchethack

Guest frankdugo

remember the article in the mgnoc news last year.nice pipes& body. hope mercury rides with him.

Bill Ross and Team Subtle Crowbar are having at it at El Mirage this weekend. :mg:

See their Web page here:

http://teamsubtlecrowbar.pitpilot.com/

May the winds (now whipping up into a semi-serious Santa Ana here :o ) be kind to the Team! :bike:

Since you seem to be on the inside w/ them, slip'em the word that they need to update the website. Been kinda quiet, aside from a couple of pics w/ the bike painted. :thumbsup:

Guest ratchethack
Since you seem to be on the inside w/ them, slip'em the word that they need to update the website. Been kinda quiet, aside from a couple of pics w/ the bike painted. :thumbsup:

To tell you the truth, the last time I spoke with Bill was the day I took this shot of the Mandello Meteor.

post-1212-1210988250.jpg

It was a beautiful, pristine '87 LM Special Edition with a straight-cut close ratio gearbox with higher than stock ratios. On that day I was begging Bill not to hack it up in deference to finding a clapped-out beater as the "donor" bike, since they'd be rebuilding the entire bike piece by piece anyway. Nothing doing. They were all set to strip it the following day (which they did). Bill justified the scrilege by saying he'd been looking for the special ratios in the SE gearbox for a long time, and it didn't matter wot condition the "donor" was in. :(

It was a heartbreaker for Yours Truly -- but I reckon that's an everyday part o' chasing LSR fame and glory. :whistle:

I'll tell him you requested they get right on the Web site update, soon's I see him. ;)

.. They were all set to strip it the following day (which they did). Bill justified the scrilege by saying he'd been looking for the special ratios in the SE gearbox for a long time, and it didn't matter wot condition the "donor" was in. :(

It was a heartbreaker for Yours Truly -- but I reckon that's an everyday part o' chasing LSR fame and glory. :whistle:

Yes, I remember that pic, and thinking much along the same lines as you, but then I remembered that *most* of what they were doing would consist of stripping off the other parts & slapping others in their place, ie: I don't think that anything is irretrievably altered. But it sure was a beautiful bike to begin with! I really like the "laydown" f/x from the longer Jackal? driveshaft they swapped in: very custom [of course, that had no bearing on why they did it; they just wanted the lower drive ratio & added wheelbase for stability, unless I miss my guess....]

Wishing them well, I'd love to be up at El Mirage right now cheering them on! :thumbsup:

Guest ratchethack

Team Subtle Crowbar's evidently returned, but so far this is all I got:

post-1212-1211573974.jpg

Pre-run staging at El Mirage

post-1212-1211574143.jpg

Front wheel? Yep, still there.

According to this they have a "pendng" record of 157.953 MPH. I'm not sure why it's pending... every other record seems to be certified.

__Jason

According to this they have a "pendng" record of 157.953 MPH. I'm not sure why it's pending... every other record seems to be certified.

__Jason

This thread explains why it was not a record:

http://socal-guzzi.com/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?t=1810

Bill Ross said something about the engine was not inspected, and some other technicality.

When he gets serious and goes for the record, it will probably be over 160MPH! :helmet:

• 1 month later...
To tell you the truth, the last time I spoke with Bill was the day I took this shot of the Mandello Meteor.

Mandello_Meteor_Before.jpg

It was a beautiful, pristine '87 LM Special Edition with a straight-cut close ratio gearbox with higher than stock ratios. On that day I was begging Bill not to hack it up in deference to finding a clapped-out beater as the "donor" bike, since they'd be rebuilding the entire bike piece by piece anyway. Nothing doing. They were all set to strip it the following day (which they did). Bill justified the scrilege by saying he'd been looking for the special ratios in the SE gearbox for a long time, and it didn't matter wot condition the "donor" was in. :(

I'll tell him you requested they get right on the Web site update, soon's I see him. ;)

Can you tell me how I can contact these people. I would like to buy the fuel tank,plastic and bodywork. I have a SE and would like to have back-up parts "just-in-case"!

Now he has a record!!!

Photos here:

http://forum.guzzitech.com/index.php?optio...83&catid=36

But no details yet...

It says he "took the record", but I think that may still be talk of when he UnOfficially beat the record.

Sorry, I don't know if he broke the record June 22nd.

In any case, I think we can all be optimistic that records will be broken at the end of Summer at Bonneville!!!

Can you tell me how I can contact these people. I would like to buy the fuel tank,plastic and bodywork. I have a SE and would like to have back-up parts "just-in-case"!

Good luck, but if I were involved, there's little chance I'd sell the original parts since once the record is achieved, there will be little resale value of the LSR bike, and I'd put it all back to stock & sell it off to recoup some small part of the cubic $$$ spent achieving the goal.

But that's just me... ;)