Problem changing EPROM in ECU

John Neeson

Hello Everyone,

Its MOT test time again, so I must remove the Moto Arbo pipes and the Raceco chip and refit the standard items to my 1997 Sport Injection.

After changing the chip, I turned on the ignition and the fuel pump ran continuously. It did NOT time out as it should have done. I turned the ignition off, then on again. This time the fuel pump did not run at all. Needless to say, the engine would not start.

I refitted the Raceco chip to check that the ECU was still OK: It worked perfectly. Its no real hardship to go for the MOT test with the Raceco chip and standard pipes, but I would really like to run the bike as standard.

My question: Is there some special procedure that has to be done when changing to a different chip? That is, does the ECU memorize the EPROM checksum and therefore interprets a different checksum as a failure.

The 'standard' chip was bought last year from Moto Mecca, but since it did not arrive in time for the test it has never been used. I only bought it because the one supplied with the bike did not work! In fact it behaved in the same way as the replacement.

The only information I have is the label on the chip "KF-KIT1". Unfortunately I do not have an EPROM programmer, so I can't verify that it has been programmed.

I had a similar problem on my 1100i, with the fuel pump not priming. It turned out to be a blown ECU. I replaced it with a second hand Ducati 748 unit (same ECU, but cheaper!), put my old chip into it and all was right and well with the world. If it is the ECU, I would get a My16M from Jefferies.....

Hello Everyone,

Its MOT test time again, so I must remove the Moto Arbo pipes and the Raceco chip and refit the standard items to my 1997 Sport Injection.

After changing the chip, I turned on the ignition and the fuel pump ran continuously. It did NOT time out as it should have done. I turned the ignition off, then on again. This time the fuel pump did not run at all. Needless to say, the engine would not start.

I refitted the Raceco chip to check that the ECU was still OK: It worked perfectly. Its no real hardship to go for the MOT test with the Raceco chip and standard pipes, but I would really like to run the bike as standard.

My question: Is there some special procedure that has to be done when changing to a different chip? That is, does the ECU memorize the EPROM checksum and therefore interprets a different checksum as a failure.

The 'standard' chip was bought last year from Moto Mecca, but since it did not arrive in time for the test it has never been used. I only bought it because the one supplied with the bike did not work! In fact it behaved in the same way as the replacement.

The only information I have is the label on the chip "KF-KIT1". Unfortunately I do not have an EPROM programmer, so I can't verify that it has been programmed.

To answer your question, you should be able to just swap the chip with no other magic involved. If your ECU was bad it really should be bad with your Raceco chip too.

The chips are somewhat sensitive to static discharge. They should be stored pushed into conductive foam or in a conductive bag. Also, the chip socket is not really designed for a lot of swapping. I've had really wierd faults in other equipment due to a bad socket. That was very hard to diagnose. If I were you I would just keep the Raceco fitted and not touch it again.

Static damage is my bet, but optimistically, contact oxidation could be the culprit and some gentle cleaning with DeoxIT or a similar product may be enough.

Do handle with care to avoid static damage.

But yah, as RAZ indicated, everytime you swap the chip you are risking damage to the socket.

But if you have to pass the test, you have to pass the test.

I was almost certain that no special procedure was required, but it seemed like too much of a coincidence that I have two standard EPROMs that do not work.

I recall now that the chip I bought from Moto Mecca was embedded in a block of polystyrene foam when it arrived. About the worst material you could think of for this purpose.

Either its blown, or they just forgot to program it: either way I will ask them to sort it out.

Thanks to all who responded