Black Spark plugs

wheelsucker

The map I got from Guzzitech is a map that he has and only gives to those that purchase from him; its for a high flow exhaust w/stock airbox for the 2003/4 V11. The one I pulled from the PC website is for a 2001 V11 with Mistral exhaust and x-over.

My exhaust is a mistral x-over and FBF carbon mufflers; no other mods.

That certainly makes sense to try that map as it matches your modifications better than the one not for the the Mistral X-over.

I'd suspect the map is fine and that you need a good tuneup.

But you could revert to the other map and see if it runs better again.

When you load a map, or after tuning the bike, you should adjust the PCIII so that closed throttle reads 0 and wide open throttle reads 100.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure are a lot of directions to go here.

I'm getting from your prior posts that the bike ran good, you installed the exhaust and the PC3 and the bike now runs rich.

If the bike ran good before the PC, why not load a 0 map and see how it runs? It takes minutes and your questions will be answered.

If it leans back out you can pick another map or have a custom one made.

If it doesn't then you can look for other issues.

Guest ratchethack
Number 17 (one of the ones called "best") looks awful to me though. Isn't the isolator cracked?

SP17.JPG

FYI -- The insulator tower in the photo is NOT cracked. What you're looking at (the jagged line near the bottom of the tower) is where deposits have formed on the tower and have broken off. :luigi:

I'm not sure what a zero map means but I did see it on the PC site, but I was thinking about some of the comments and my spark plugs that indicate I may have been running a bit rich to begin with. So, I'm going to pull the PCIII and run the stock ECU and see what happens. I appreciate all the comments and advice.

A zero map is a map with nothing but zeroes in the map cells.

Positive numbers enrich, negative numbers lean and zeroes do nothing.

Disconnecting the PCIII effectively does the same thing.

With your mufflers, no PCIII should result in many lean spots.

You will pretty surely need a tuneup, and it could be that you need to set the TPS a little low to work with the downloaded map.

When you load a map, or after tuning the bike, you should adjust the PCIII so that closed throttle reads 0 and wide open throttle reads 100.

If at wide open throttle is not indicated "100" but for example 92 or 95 or 87, what could it mean? What could go wrong?

If at wide open throttle is not indicated "100" but for example 92 or 95 or 87, what could it mean? What could go wrong?

What he said. My wide open throttle indicats a 97.

And alas, I think I'm hosed. I tried the zero map and then tried a mistral muffler stock x-over map and the same stuff happens. I let it idle for a while and after about 20 mins it began to sputter at idle and die. Even when I would rev it in nuetral it would still sputter and then when I let off the throttle it would die. So it looks like I'll take it to the shop for a full tune.

It changes how the PCIII map overlays the ECU map.

I am not sure how critical it is. I suspect 97 at WOT is not bad, but it depends on the map.

For example if the PCIII at 5000 RPM has oh, say a -5 at 80% throttle and a +25 at 90%, I am not sure how it averages out but presumably if the PCIII sees 85% it will average the adjustment to 15. Is that 15% more injector time, or 15 more milliseconds, I don't know. The important thing is that if you are properly "zeroed" (if that is the correct term) than the 15 will be correct, but if you off by minus 3% at both WOT and idle (-3 and +97%) then the map will shift 3%, so that 15 intended for 85% throttle will appear when the PCIII sees 85% which in actuality is 88% and it will theoretically be too lean at that throttle opening.

Like wise if 5 at 80% throttle and a +25 at 90% were reversed to +25 at 80% throttle and a -5 at 90% then the mixture would be theoretically too rich at about 85% throttle. At WOT I don't think you will have a problem as it will probably treat 97% as if it were 100%, but I am not sure about that....

And as I said, being off by 3% is probably not a big deal...be the closer you tune to perfection, the longer it will stay tuned.

If WOT was 87% on the PCIII, then you would have a problem because the map would jump an entire fuel cell, so where you needed leaning you are now getting enrichment, and vice versa, but again it depends on the map. Maps that have great differences between fuel cells will be more greatly impacted.

What he said. My wide open throttle indicats a 97.

And alas, I think I'm hosed. I tried the zero map and then tried a mistral muffler stock x-over map and the same stuff happens. I let it idle for a while and after about 20 mins it began to sputter at idle and die. Even when I would rev it in nuetral it would still sputter and then when I let off the throttle it would die. So it looks like I'll take it to the shop for a full tune.

Those symptoms most likely indicate valves tightening up.

But the black plugs most likely indicate the TPS being too high.

Maybe the idle mixture is too rich.

Try setting the idle trim to get 3,5 % CO.

3.5% CO is my dream...but how can you do it, when the lambda always interferes

...the normal value is between 0.75%-1.2%

When you increase pulse width using Axone, for a few moments CO goes up

and then back ...to what makes the lambda... happy!!!!

Wish my spark plugs were a little blacker...

Those symptoms most likely indicate valves tightening up.

But the black plugs most likely indicate the TPS being too high.

That may be correct because I definitely believe its running rich even w/o the power commander, I installed new plugs yesterday before trying the different maps and when I checked the spark plugs they were a completely black. So the bike will just sit until my shop opens up and I can get a full tune.

Guest ONETHUMPER

I have the same problem. Going along @ 3-4k steady gas it coughs cuts out then back on. Plugs black loaded a nother map same thing

took out the power commander problem solved bike and plugs fine. Lost some of the good the power commander was doing for the midrange

will contact them as to the warrenty on monday .

Guest ratchethack

A Power Commander is no more the cause of fouled plugs than a keyboard is the cause of misspelled words. :P

A Power Commander is no more the cause of fouled plugs than a keyboard is the cause of misspelled words. :P

Perhaps the fouled plugs & "hiccups" are unrelated? If the PC was leading to the glitchy throttle response, who cares if it was also the source of the blackened redfis... er, plugs? ;)