Vll without catalysator --02 or with 03--

Mario

I have a 02/03 LeMans without catalysator. I bougth it new and it is completely original. It pulls very strong all the way from 1500-8700 rpm. The engine rumbles also in a very primitive way, and i just love it!!!

I have now started to drive with my 04 Cafe Sport with catalysator. I bougth it new and is completely original. I must say that I am very surprised that its so weak under 3000 rpm! But between 3000-5000 rpm it pulls very strong, I think its comparably to my 02/03 LeMans. But in the low rpms between 1500-3000 it has no chance against the LeMans. I dont now yet how it goes between 5000-8700 rpm because I have only driving it 300 km yet. (Though, I must say I love the way the Öhlins shocks handles the motorcycle)

Does anyone else experienced the same thing?? That the engines without catalysator are stronger in the lower rpms. And if its so, can I do same thing about it?

When I bougth the Cafe Sport my intention was to sell the LeMans, but now that I have driven the Cafe Sport, no way!!!

(Maybe i have to keep them both, the LeMans for the lovely engine, and the Cafe Sport for the lovely suspension)

SuperMario

You could exchange the exhausts and find out if it is really the catalyzers.

I don't think there is much difference (if any) in the programming of the EPROM, so you'd have a reasonable comparison.

FWIW, I don't think it's the catalyzers. Haven't heard anyone about a difference in engine characteristics.

And there is another thing: The V11 engine always gets smoother (and more powerful?) with more kms...

Easiest solution: don't ride it between 1500 and 3000 revs! The engine likes 4000 to 6000 much better imo.

Maybe someone else could give their :2c: ?

Well, the new bikes have not only a catalysator, but also a lambda in the crossover, that feeds back in the computer.

This all because it needs to get clean gasses.

What you can try is: put the le mans ecu in the cafe sport. But first you need to get the lambda out, because it doesn't like to run disconected. if the bike runs better with the le mans ecu, it's there where the difference is.

To Paul

As I understand you, I shall remove the lamda from the exhaustsystem. But how do I do this?

For your information I also have bought the MG Titanium Kit with ecu -02, which I havent yet put on the LeMans.

Maybe I should put it on the Cafe Sport? The only problem here is that my dealer here in Sweden says that I can`t by a separate ecu for 03-, that I have to buy a complete new kit for 03- bikes?

SuperMario

well, I looked in the schematic, you can leave the lambda in, but let it connected, then it still gets the heating power.

you can try the titanium set with the on ecu on the cafe sport. Then it works just like the bike without lambda/catalysator.

the ecu for catalysator bikes is different, because it has some extra software to read the lambda, and correct the fuel to get clean gasses. I don't know how strict Sweden is about alterations on your bike and the environment.

Other way is to reprogramm your cafe sport ecu, but then you will need someone knowledgable.

I have a 02/03 LeMans without catalysator. I bougth it new and it is completely original. It pulls very strong all the way from 1500-8700 rpm. The engine rumbles also in a very primitive way, and i just love it!!!

I have now started to drive with my 04 Cafe Sport with catalysator. I bougth it new and is completely original. I must say that I am very surprised that its so weak under 3000 rpm! But between 3000-5000 rpm it pulls very strong, I think its comparably to my 02/03 LeMans. But in the low rpms between 1500-3000 it has no chance against the LeMans. I dont now yet how it goes between 5000-8700 rpm because I have only driving it 300 km yet. (Though, I must say I love the way the Öhlins shocks handles the motorcycle)

Does anyone else experienced the same thing?? That the engines without catalysator are stronger in the lower rpms. And if its so, can I do same thing about it?

When I bougth the Cafe Sport my intention was to sell the LeMans, but now that I have driven the Cafe Sport, no way!!!

(Maybe i have to keep them both, the LeMans for the lovely engine, and the Cafe Sport for the lovely suspension)

SuperMario

You need to break this engine in first before fair comparisons can be made. 300km??? Try it at 5000kms, I'm thinking the feel will be closer.

Steve

To Steve G

I have driven my LeMans 7100 km since new, but I must say that even from the immediate start the 02/03 engine pulled and felt very strong even in the lowest rpms, also this motor shakes and rumbles in a very charming way. From the start my 04 Cafe Sport have felt weak, quiet and very civilised in the low rpms. So I think the difference between the engines will be there even in the future. That said, i still hope there is a way to make the 04 Cafe Sport more raw, strong and less civilised in the low rpms. For the "higher" rpms over 3000 rpms I have now doubt that the 04 Cafe Sport will pull strong.

To Paul

As I understand you, you think I can leave the lamda connected in my 04 Cafe Sport and still use the complete titanium kit from the 02/03, and that the kit-ecu will make the bike work without lamda? If I understood you right, will the engine then realy work properly and without trouble like for instance going to lean?

About your other suggestion, reprogram the original ecu for the 04 Cafe Sport. How is this done, and who can reprogram it?

SuperMario