Fast by Ferracci

wheelsucker

I went with the Megacycles 620x9 per Mike's suggestion. My emphasis was on usable mid-range power (VS high RPM) which IMHO is in character with the Guzzi. After Mike got done - the beast runs strong to redline on all gears so I am happy with the results. I stuck with the OEM air filter b/c I was concerned with effectiveness of gauze/oil (Mike does not share my concern) but have a BMC waiting for installation when I can get the tank off (see other thread about my seat removal challenges).

I've only got about 500 miles on mine so far, and haven't pushed it all the way yet. The most astonishing thing so far is how butter smooth the motor becomes @5K RPM and above. Vibes just vanish - although I suspect this may be the result of the Carrillos and balancing job that was done.

__Jason

Bought mine from FBF, over the 'net. I was gauranteed the bike was in PERFECT condition, was SAFE and needed NOTHING, except tires pretty soon. According to their own ad, "Produces 90hp at the rear wheel". As it turned out, the front Ohlins fork was delivered weeping, with signs that it was run on the road that way as you could see burnt oil spots on the front of the exhaust pipes. The right carbon fiber slip on had a scratch on top (some harlot's stilletto heel at the passenger peg from the looks of it), and the Head of Sales promised me a copy of the dyno report, which didn't arrive with the bike. When I brought up the forks and can, there was NO effort to do anything about what I considered serious issues for the price I paid and the word of a gentleman, now broken. Ended up going to the Vice President (Eraldo's son), who then was hooked up with MY MG guy, to work out a compromise. Their final offer was to pay for the seal kit for the forks, no more, roughly 10% of what the shop bill would be if they did it all. I told them I was insulted, and that I would take care of it myself, Thank You.

The salesmen promised me the dyno report 2 more times over the next couple of weeks. It never arrived, and he then refused to take a call or answer any e-mail from me. And I did not call alot, or any other behavior I would have considered "pestering". I have nothing good to say about their manner in which they deal with customers whose money they have, and live far enough away that they feel safe that they will not have to ever look you in the eye, hopefully ever...

Aside from that, I LOVE her. They put their full catalog of parts in her, and a cam, and heads done by hand by "their guy", and she runs really well. I have since made my own mods, and have done the entire list of maintenence schedule and more.What a great bike to work on! And that dyno report??? Who gives a shit about a piece of paper, she runs like a shithouse rat with turpentine on his AH!!! :lol: My analysis of your question: Be wary of their word, trust their work. Of course, this is all MY opinion, your experience would hopefully be more rewarding all around, :notworthy::mg::wub: S.H.

I completely agree with Jason in reccomending Roland at the Spare Parts Company. He is a great, honest, capable guy who specializes in European bikes, Primarily Guzzi and Bmw.

Fast by Ferracci may carry Moto Guzzis, but they are clearly more interested in the "other" italian motorcycle line that they carry. Roland, by contrast would prefer to work on Guzzis and other less mainstream brands. He even imports vintage french cars for gods sake! I am very grateful to have a shop like this in my vicinity.

I would encourage anyone in the area who appreciates the interesting and obscure, or who prefers a local hardware store to Home Depot to support Roland!

I had to go to small claims court to get Spare Parts to deliver, back in the 80s...

With regard to PCIIIs, claims that modified bikes are running problem free without them, IMHO, need to be looked at analytically.

Sure some are running pretty well, but with a PCIII or ECU mapping software they can run better.

Ask yourself if you are happy with the slow damage being done to your engine running it at air to fuel ratios of 14 or 15 to one.

If you are content with the slow destruction of your engine, then fine.

My Quat-D was running in some place at 16:1 before remapping.

The PCIII and a dyno session aren't cheap, but neither are new valves, etc.

Then again there may be rare horror stories of engines blowing up on dynos.

It is your choice.

I had to go to small claims court to get Spare Parts to deliver, back in the 80s...

With regard to PCIIIs, claims that modified bikes are running problem free without them, IMHO, need to be looked at analytically.

Sure some are running pretty well, but with a PCIII or ECU mapping software they can run better.

Ask yourself if you are happy with the slow damage being done to your engine running it at air to fuel ratios of 14 or 15 to one.

It is your choice.

I agree with you in regards to a PCIII may actually make the bike run better, but I think I'll start with a full tune first and go from there. There are plenty of people not running the PCIII with aftermarket exhausts, don't know what that's doing to their engine and even the guy at the Guzzi shop says that his '04 w/ a Quat D doesn't have a PCIII and doesn't seem to run lean at all. My bike is running extremely rich as noted even by my wife who followed me the 5 miles to the Guzzi shop for service this morning. My bike sputtered most of the way but it got there; and suprisingly my wife agreed that should the full tune not correct the problems then we'll head up to FBF for a custom map on the dyno.

Different owner. You dealt with Franz. Roland worked for Franz for a number of years, but I don't think for that long. Franz finally got out of the biz a couple years ago and sold it to Roland. With that said, when Franz was still there, I never had any issues with him... but the 80s were a different time, and I wasn't around then.

Sorry... I don't mean to spout off. I don't doubt you had some problem with them, but I do doubt that your experience from 20-odd years ago has any relevance today.

__Jason

It is your choice.

dlaing

FWIW - My dyno print out from Ferracci shows correct fule/air ratio throughout the RPM after the CO2 adjustment (I am assuming Ferracci has no reason to be "optimistic" about these results). Other than running slightly lean 13.8:1 at 3-4K RPM the rest of the range is just about perfect. Again - the only mod at that point was the Gianelli pipes.

I have the impression that Gianelli was/is OEM supplier as the mufflers are identical in dimension to the factory Ti cans I now have on the bike - only difference is aluminum skin and welded connection at can/pipe (VS the Ti can springs). Perhaps some aftermarket exhausts can be OK with minor adjustment of stock ECU. Certainly I agree that any other mods require the steps you suggest - as I went with PC III after my rebuild and mods.

You guys are lucky to have close access to Mike Rich's shop.

I'd love to have him do a final tune on all his parts I had put in the engine during the case replacement back in San Jose.

The bike runs fine, but it would just be nice to have it come full circle :race:

Al

Different owner. You dealt with Franz. Roland worked for Franz for a number of years, but I don't think for that long. Franz finally got out of the biz a couple years ago and sold it to Roland. With that said, when Franz was still there, I never had any issues with him... but the 80s were a different time, and I wasn't around then.

Sorry... I don't mean to spout off. I don't doubt you had some problem with them, but I do doubt that your experience from 20-odd years ago has any relevance today.

__Jason

Since the owner has changed, you are correct.

Otherwise, people tend not to change so much.

Yes, it was Franz that I dealt with...

dlaing

FWIW - My dyno print out from Ferracci shows correct fule/air ratio throughout the RPM after the CO2 adjustment (I am assuming Ferracci has no reason to be "optimistic" about these results). Other than running slightly lean 13.8:1 at 3-4K RPM the rest of the range is just about perfect. Again - the only mod at that point was the Gianelli pipes.

I have the impression that Gianelli was/is OEM supplier as the mufflers are identical in dimension to the factory Ti cans I now have on the bike - only difference is aluminum skin and welded connection at can/pipe (VS the Ti can springs). Perhaps some aftermarket exhausts can be OK with minor adjustment of stock ECU. Certainly I agree that any other mods require the steps you suggest - as I went with PC III after my rebuild and mods.

I am surprised you are not too lean.

I wonder if the 2003+ V11s have a better ECU map????

My Air to Fuel Ratio is all over the place.

I'll get it leveled out one of these days....soon.