Smoke from oil cooler?

dabore84

I rode my bike this morning in the rain, going to my work. 10 miles highway, then 5 miles trough the city. In the city, when I was waiting for the green light, suddnley I saw smoke comming, or from my oil cooler or from somewhere above my cooler. It scared the shit out of me, cause I didnt know where it exactly came from. v9.gif

There is no oil leaking or something like that.

I didnt ride in the rain before, third time on the bike.

Here is a old pic. Yesterday I didnt saw any smoke and it also rained.

smoke.JPG

Plzzz help. Could I ride home safely?

I'd say it is normal and would not be worried about it.

I like driving in the rain, every time I stop at the lights, water drained into my fairing slips onto the pipes and makes very special effects :) I feel like a real Misty Rider :P:D

If your goose is running ok, you have enough oil and no leaks on oil linkage - there is nothing to fear about :thumbsup::mg:

On my break went out and started the engine for about 5 minutes. No smoke, nothing. It's dry outside. I think I am gonna clean my cooler, there is lots of mud/sand that was in the rain. :angry:

I hope it stays dry, so when I get home and there is no smoke, it was definitely water.

I'm quite sure that it was only water resp. steam/vapor. The difference to smoke is, that once the smoke is out, something has quit working.

Nevertheless, you could check the yellow cables coming out of the alternator. These end in rather cheap connectors somewhere below the stearing head, way too cheap for the load they have to bear. I could think of a scenario, where rain, mud and heavy amps could drive them right over their limits. So it could have been smoke as well, unfortunately. Check them.

Hubert

I rode my bike this morning in the rain, going to my work. 10 miles highway, then 5 miles trough the city. In the city, when I was waiting for the green light, suddnley I saw smoke comming, or from my oil cooler or from somewhere above my cooler. It scared the shit out of me, cause I didnt know where it exactly came from. v9.gif

There is no oil leaking or something like that.

I didnt ride in the rain before, third time on the bike.

Here is a old pic. Yesterday I didnt saw any smoke and it also rained.

smoke.JPG

Plzzz help. Could I ride home safely?

Steam??

Steve

Good news, it was only water. When I rode back home, everything was oke. No smoke, nothing. I'm little confused, that I didnt noticed it yesterday.

Ok, I am a happy boy again. Thanks for feedback.

:D

Gonna check those cables. What kind of grease is used for electronic parts, to protect it from moisture?

Gonna check those cables. What kind of grease is used for electronic parts, to protect it from moisture?

"Dielectric grease" is commonly used, since it is non-conductive & you don't have to worry about it causing a short circuit. I think that is what you're asking about.