Charging light Flicker

JackBoots

As I plan a trip to Montreal, my lovely Guzzi, Insanity reminded me that she is a Guzzi

Over the past 2 days I have noticed 2wice that the charging light will flicker at 2-3000 rpms shortly after a start.

It went away after about 1/4 of a mile both times and was fine for another 25 miles both times.

Should I be worried? Is it just another Guzzi thing or as Microsoft software engineers would call it.. "a feature"

As I plan a trip to Montreal, my lovely Guzzi, Insanity reminded me that she is a Guzzi

Over the past 2 days I have noticed 2wice that the charging light will flicker at 2-3000 rpms shortly after a start.

It went away after about 1/4 of a mile both times and was fine for another 25 miles both times.

Should I be worried? Is it just another Guzzi thing or as Microsoft software engineers would call it.. "a feature"

Take your battery out of the bike. Then take the battery to a parts shop to have it tested.

Mine's been doing the exact same thing for 2 yrs now, without complications. I'm not sure what is causing it. I've put a voltage tester on the battery leads before, during, and after and the flickering light does not seem to coincide with a low or high charge. My battery is strong.

Steve

My bike does that every once and a while i chalk it up to the regulator just doesnt exite right. If the light came on and stayed on i would start worrying

Brent has it. The regulator is the most likely suspect. Check all connections and grounds though...

Check all connections and grounds though...

Look especially at the 30 amp regulator fuse. They have a reputation for getting quite hot, can burn off their contacts and never blow the fuse.

I have a similar condition but only at low idle. I assume the alternator is just not putting out that low.

The light goes out as soon as I accelerate.

Is this normal?

D

David,

We missed you at the South'n Spine Raid! Texas had to go entirely unrepresented.

I wonder if your idle is a bit on the low side. Even 200-300 rpm could make enough difference to flicker the light.

Just over 56,000 miles on my Sport now. You're still edging out ahead of me?

I have a similar condition but only at low idle. I assume the alternator is just not putting out that low.

Is this normal?

D

I could be wrong but you need the right rpm to exicte the the regulator to get it to work. Old VWs all had the battery light on till ya hit the throttle. I would check the idle make sure its not to low

Is this normal?

D

How low? And, does it come back on or just stay out once the rpm is raised until the next start up?

My bike had the same flickering problem. It started up just fine except in below 40 degree weather. I began to think that it had to be near the end of its life...it was eight years old after all. So I took it to AutoZone to have it tested & sure enough it was bad. Ever since then I have no flickering light.

Sometimes you should check the really easy things first.

Hey Doc. Sorry I missed the group. I'am meeting a group out west in a couple of weeks-colorado.

Maybe next year I will head east. I always wanted to go up through Kentucky towards Virginia.

I just shy of 60,000 on Kermit. Haven't been riding enough.

The alt light just comes on once in awhile. Usually when the bike is first started and I haven't got the fast idle on. I'm 99% sure it is just because of the low idle. Once it settles down the light stays off.

Just wanted to see what the group concesus would be.

Thanks

D

Thanks all, I will try and get the tank off and check the connections, and maybe se what the battery looks like.

I do get the light on at low idle rpms but I never worry about that. The old BMW's that I have owned always did that and I attributed it to the low rpms not puting out enough juice.

Good to know others have had the same issue