Tank Capacity

VR6Dave

If I remember correctly the hole size and bolt spacing is different on the fuel sender ?

If someone had the skills to design 2 bolt on adaptor plates/mounts im sure there would be a market on this board for a new 4ltr reserve option for the V11.

Anyone with the skills/time for this ?

Who would be interested in an easy 4 bolt/1 manual petcock/30cm fuel line solution to this problem ?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a simple siphon hose inside the tank?

Gas seeking it's own level and all?

I mentioned this as a possible solution, oh... ages ago? I even surmised that the easiest way to insert it would be to fill it w/ gasoline, freeze it, and then put it in place, inquiring about the freezing point of pump gas, since I didn't know if it could be done w/ widely available dry ice or if the slightly less simple to obtain LN3 would be required. Never got any response, but then again, I haven't dug up a source for the special fuel line needed for constant immersion in today's alcohol-laden fuel, either.

Guest ratchethack
. . . Never got any response, but then again, I haven't dug up a source for the special fuel line needed for constant immersion in today's alcohol-laden fuel, either.

Say Skeeve. I thought I'd responded way back when? Maybe not.

It was a mighty creative solution, as I well recall. Ingenious, even. Kudos. Finding fuel line impervious to alcohol wouldn't be much of a prob, IMHO. However, on top of the requisite extraordinarily high-effort installation threshold, seems to me (just armchair Q-backin' it) that once installed, it would be highly susceptible to breaking siphon vacuum from everyday sloshing inside the tank, especially at low fuel levels -- the very scenario we're attempting to more effectively deal with in the first place. Then wot? Back to square 1. . . :doh:

But it was an interesting approach. . . ;)

If someone had the skills to design 2 bolt on adaptor plates/mounts im sure there would be a market on this board for a new 4ltr reserve option for the V11.

Anyone with the skills/time for this ?

Who would be interested in an easy 4 bolt/1 manual petcock/30cm fuel line solution to this problem ?

I can't see how to route the crossover line without going forward and under the frame. More than 30 cm.

I'm interested in a solution . . .

I can't see how to route the crossover line without going forward and under the frame. More than 30 cm.

I'm interested in a solution . . .

Good Idea. Now we need someone who can design the adaptors and a market large enough not to be to expensive per unit.

Cheers

Bruce

Someone (in NZ I think?) had the idea of ditching the oil breather/condenser frame space and use that for extra fuel (cool B) I like the spirit of it) so why don't you combine these two ideas into one!

Of course it will leave you with the other problem: what would you do with the oil breather? :rolleyes:

Skeeve

Metal tube not hose.

( I just replaced every hose on my 115 Mariner. Rubber bits in the top 2 carbs. ick! )

Filling it and anchoring it is the trick I guess. Perhaps bending feet facing forward or towards

the deepest end?

Filling could be accomplished by a plastic hose removed after. (the next trick)

Maybe partially fill it while the filler assembly is still off. siphon with the plastic hose then remove it.

bla bla bla....1% insperation 99% persperation.

Just throwing it out there.

Better yet they should do it at the factory.

I'm too (almost) satisfied with my near but nervous 200mi to delve into it.

With 2 boats I'm sick of working on stuff!!!!. :)

Guest ratchethack
. . .With 2 boats I'm sick of working on stuff!!!!. :)

Say Weej.

So one hole in the water to t'row y'er money into wasn't enough, eh? :lol:

My time filling in that bottomless pit came and went long ago. Some of the best lifetime memories that may be had. . .

Best learning experience of all -- Discovering how to repel boarders without use of cutlass and pistol. B)

How, you may ask? Cast off and head for blue water before they wake up. ;)

Say Skeeve. I thought I'd responded way back when? Maybe not.

It was a mighty creative solution, as I well recall. Ingenious, even. Kudos. Finding fuel line impervious to alcohol wouldn't be much of a prob, IMHO. However, on top of the requisite extraordinarily high-effort installation threshold, seems to me (just armchair Q-backin' it) that once installed, it would be highly susceptible to breaking siphon vacuum from everyday sloshing inside the tank, especially at low fuel levels -- the very scenario we're attempting to more effectively deal with in the first place. Then wot? Back to square 1. . . :doh:

But it was an interesting approach. . . ;)

Well, I'd be the 1st to admit that it's only a partial solution, ie: it would still be incumbent upon the user to attempt not to run out of fuel, and to ride sedately when nearing the limit so as not to expose the pickup. As far as anchoring the ends, I think a little bit of lead applied in the right spots will do, & leave the rest to gravity. The advantage of using flexible fuel line vs. copper tubing or similar would be in retrieving it once siphon failure occured; just hook w/ a bit of wire, pull it out, fill w/ fuel, refreeze & reinsert.

Tho' far from being a complete solution, it should at least enable transparent use of that hidden 1/2gal/2 liters of fuel that can only be accessed via the "deep slosh" method at present. Just don't run completely out! :doh:

'Scuse me while I go browse Guzzitech for the thread on fixing the early Norge/Cali Vintage fuel system defect & the proper fuel line spec this requires... :nerd:

Fuel line & fishing weights: all answers to life's riddles can be found in the old-timey (ie: properly equipped!) hardware store! ;)

I had the same problem. Let's see how far I could go before the warning light glows. No light and no fuel. Found out that the sensor is attached to the fuel pump and by a very thin piece of metal. New fuel pump with new sensor under warranty.

Sam

2004 V11 Ballabio

Denver Colorado

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if this would work ,

DSCN0094.JPGDSCN0095.JPG

this syphon works by having a one way valve, up and down movement of the valve end causes the fuel to rise in the pipe,so it may purge itself while riding ?

Off topic/

Yup Ratch...I got 2 money holes in the water.!

But living here on beautiful Fishers Island Sound how can I not?

It's like the 1/2 price Edelweiss tour of southern Spain I've been offered.

I can't afford it but... can I afford to not afford it?

Besides I'm defraying the cost of the boats with clams and fluke. (I tell myself)

Ouiji economics border on metaphysics. I wont be lying on my death bed thinkin'

"I shoulda worked more over time and saved more money." :P:mg:

If I remember correctly the hole size and bolt spacing is different on the fuel sender ?

it is on the low fuel sender, but the pressure reg is the same as a fuel tap so if you returned the fuel in another way it would work... through the filler cap? some EV's have a pressure regulator that has a hose output instead of screw to tank fitting. I used one of these and added a spigot near the top of a steel convert tank for a fuel return... so you could connect both sides of the tank if you had a return hose elsewhere... am I making sense? I did this to run an EV motor in a convert.... I made the tank like an EV tank.. also modded the frame to be the oil breather like an EV.

DSCN1739.jpg

not sure if this would work ,

DSCN0094.JPGDSCN0095.JPG

this syphon works by having a one way valve, up and down movement of the valve end causes the fuel to rise in the pipe,so it may purge itself while riding ?

Excellent find! Where do I get one for my own?

Off topic/

It's like the 1/2 price Edelweiss tour of southern Spain I've been offered.

I can't afford it but... can I afford to not afford it?

Got that freebe offer myself. Pretty tempting. Edelweiss does a good job in Europe. Been thinking about offering a split to a friend to make it 1/2 price as you say. There's been a few too many "solo" trips lately though, a divorce may cost me more than the 1/2 price savings...:whistle: