V11 Spare Parts Situation?

Orson

I read something in the Tenni section about the V11 being "orphaned" by Piaggio?

Does orphaned mean no more spare parts? :o

When I was last at Moto Guareschi, Papa Guareschi was away at Mandello procurring parts for a 1950s vintage Guzzi.

I read something in the Tenni section about the V11 being "orphaned" by Piaggio?

When I was last at Moto Guareschi, Papa Guareschi was away at Mandello procurring parts for a 1950s vintage Guzzi.

I think it does. I have a long standing issue with parts for my gearbox, and I phoned them a couple of days ago. They have everything I need, except one gear! and, as the guy said: we used to make them in-house, but not any more. This imo means that outside suppliers are now used, and that again (could well) mean that there will be more problems associated with small runs for spares etc.

I would guess, but don't know, that we will face supply constraints on certain items for the V11. There were relatively few made, they have some unique items (i.e. gearbox) and that is the main problem. Now is the time to invest in a lathe, milling machine, generator etc etc, the world is falling apart!

During the transition, about 2, maybe 2.5 years ago [right around the time I 1st came across this forum], Piaggio sold off a mountain of spares [all?] to a big German? Guzzi shop [sorry, can't remember their name right now - HMB? Dynotec?] including a bunch of complete engines. I remember the pictures on their website off all these assembled, ready to install V11 motors w/ blue valve covers lined up waiting to be sold. Of course, back then the euro was only about even with the dollar, so the 2000 euro price tag wasn't completely unrealistic; now it's more practical to buy a complete used bike & part it out if you need to replace your motor...

But yes, Piaggio basically went in & swept all the old parts out of the factory. That's part of the "lean manufacture" profile, getting rid of parts inventory so none of your money is tied up in essentially static assets. It's all about the bottom line: remember, Piaggio bought Aprillia & got Guzzi as a "bonus" - they weren't interested in saving Guzzi, only in eliminating a competitor in their core scooter market! And before anyone pipes up with "but look at all the new models they've released since the takeover" let's remember that it takes a minimum of about 5 years for a new model to make it to market: all those "new models" were in Aprillia's pipeline when Piaggio walked in... with no intention of taking a loss on all that time & engineering already invested! ;)

Well, I'm scratching my head about Papa Guareschi driving to Mandello to get parts for a 1950s Guzzi.

Maybe he knows a old man in the machine shop in Mandello who knows what part he needs and fabricates it for him?

Guest frankdugo

stating the obvious;mr. g's ability to procure parts is in a diffrent league than the average v11 owner.----make that any model

Well, my Italian consists of me speaking Spanish and them responding in Italian so, I'll see. :lol:

If it turns out that there won't be any more V11 parts, I'll see if I can find out if Papa Guareschi does indeed have an inside "source" at the factory.

I'll update later.

Well, I'm scratching my head about Papa Guareschi driving to Mandello to get parts for a 1950s Guzzi.

Maybe he knows a old man in the machine shop in Mandello who knows what part he needs and fabricates it for him?

There are several Guzzi parts suppliers in Mandello who stock parts for the older bikes.

You can't buy parts from Guzzi in Mandello except from Agostini who, like any other dealer, sell parts supplied by Guzzi.

There are several Guzzi parts suppliers in Mandello who stock parts for the older bikes.

You can't buy parts from Guzzi in Mandello except from Agostini who, like any other dealer, sell parts supplied by Guzzi.

Plus you've got to figure there're more Guzzis of all types in Mandello just being ridden around as daily drivers, filling up corners of garden sheds, etc. that there's probably a pretty lively parts swap market in that region, regardless of any dealer or factory "inside lines of communication." :)

These are the guys in Germany that bought all the V11 Sport stuff from the factory http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/

On there site a year a go they had a photo of a room full of V11 Sport motors, frames, Ohlins front ends, WP front ends, ECU's and other great stuff.

I ordered a complete key set with ign switch, & gas cap and wiring harness for a 93 daytona. They seem to have everything in stock you could think of.

With the dollar about the value of a peso it does not pay to shop overseas anymore unless you have no choice.

I would not worry about replacement parts to much. Look at all the other guzzi dionsaurs out there that are still on the road that they do not make parts for.

It could be worse, I own a centauro

These are the guys in Germany that bought all the V11 Sport stuff from the factory http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/

On there site a year a go they had a photo of a room full of V11 Sport motors, frames, Ohlins front ends, WP front ends, ECU's and other great stuff.

I ordered a complete key set with ign switch, & gas cap and wiring harness for a 93 daytona. They seem to have everything in stock you could think of.

With the dollar about the value of a peso it does not pay to shop overseas anymore unless you have no choice.

I would not worry about replacement parts to much. Look at all the other guzzi dionsaurs out there that are still on the road that they do not make parts for.

It could be worse, I own a centauro

I agree. I own a Laverda, gone since 1988. There will always be small groups which will have, and in Laverda's case, start reproducing small quantity parts of those needed.

Steve