Tickover problem

nigelm

Hi Guys. Bought myself a 2002 Tenni back in January, took a Rosso Nero owning friend to give it the once over. On the way home the engine kept cutting out at junctions, stationery traffic etc. If I wound on the throttle a little it would keep ticking over but even then it would sometimes hesitate. First trip to Guzzi dealer had him balance things, set up correct tickover and put some injector cleaner in the tank. This made no difference. Next trip to dealer involved full service, new clutch(ouch)and lots of other goodies that a temperamental italian mistress needs to keep looking her best. Only problem still won't tickover. Back to dealer who upped the tickover speed a little. Guess what, still won't tickover. Now I could live with the problem by keeping the revs up when stopped or trickling through traffic but part of the joy of owning a v twin is the chug at tickover. Bike is going back to dealer in a couple of weeks but I wondered if any of you guys (or gals) had any ideas as to what needs to be done. I have tried using Shell Optimax superunleaded fuel and more injector cleaner but no improvement. Look forward to hearing from you.

I can't figure out what you mean by tickover

I learned on this site it's the same as idle. Queens English, or slang, I don't know. It's not even listed in wikipedia as an own article, but it is mentioned under "idle" as a synonym for "idle speed". On the other hand, it's not mentioned in the article for "idle speed" :P

First thing to check (I think it's most common) for idle problems is valve clearance. Second might be too low CO (or really too lean mixture).

Also, the rev counter may be a bit optimistic and claim 1100 rpm when it's really 800. Keep it above 1100 real rpm. My bike likes a 1300 rpm idle when it's thoroughly warmed up, otherwise it's too low when partially warm.

I would try a different dealer. Or get the equipment to work on it yourself. Idle is affected by throttle body sync, as well as valve clearance and CO trim. How many miles on the bike? Why the new clutch?

As others have said tight valve clearances can give a bad idle although this tends to be on US bikes that were given tighter std gaps than european bikes.

Other than that, a loose timing chain tensioner can cause an uneven idle, but unless its really slow I can't see it causing stalling :huh2:

air leaks can occur if the inlet rubbers are loose or cracked but I would expect backfires etc with that !!

what mods if any does the bike have ?

If none it may be that the idle CO was altered for exhausts or Pod air filters that were removed before the sale ?

If fuel consumption seems high also it could be the temp sensor is faulty and this would cause the ECU to richen the mixture (choke effect) even when warm, that would make the idle poor!!

Most likely is the idle is too slow, 1200-1300 seems to be most peoples recommended speed(the tach will probably read high!!)or the TPS is way out of adjustment (there is a thread on here about this).

Dave

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Sorry about the translation problem, the engine ticks over at idle speed. I hope it is something as simple as raising the idle speed, probably about 950rpm at the moment so if tacho is over-reading it needs quite a boost. Followed advice on forum and got a RAM clutch from Agostini. No originals available from Moto Guzzi. Stay safe.