Need bearings now!

ALdad

Final check up before heading off to the GP. LF rear wheel bearing toast. Where can I get some , what #s and how do I change them. Do I really need any specialized tools ? Help please. Always something at the last minute eh? <_ i in orange county ca.>

TAKE THE OLD ONE TO NAPA or an auto parts store, better yet a bearing house... then # might be 6204? fully sealed. you should be able to tap it out w/out special tools but don't bugger up the spacer w/your hammer. use some wood, same on putting the new one in.

I'm not a mechanic tho I play one in my garage.

TAKE THE OLD ONE TO NAPA or an auto parts store, better yet a bearing house... then # might be 6204? fully sealed. you should be able to tap it out w/out special tools but don't bugger up the spacer w/your hammer. use some wood, same on putting the new one in.

I'm not a mechanic tho I play one in my garage.

Do I need to remove the c-clip? Is the spacer the pipe between the two sides the axel slides through.

Do I need to remove the c-clip? Is the spacer the pipe between the two sides the axel slides through.

OK, I got it figured. I need a bigger cir-clip remover and need to find a local quality bearing and I'll be on the road. Cheer!

the combination of a 6304 and 6205 appears on bikes with a solid axle (your bike).

Bikes with a hollow axle have a pair of 6205 bearings.

6304 is 20 x 52 x 15 mm 92 20 52 27 which may cross ref 92 20 14 20 from older Guzzi.

6205 is 25 x 52 x 15 mm 92 20 18 21

I am pretty sure you do NOT need to remove a C-clip.

Just drive the bearing out.

But then again, maybe Luigi made are bikes differently...

Have a great trip!

the combination of a 6304 and 6205 appears on bikes with a solid axle (your bike).

6304 is 20 x 52 x 15 mm 92 20 52 27 which may cross ref 92 20 14 20 from older Guzzi.

Have a great trip!

Thanx Dave , I was going to run out and get some 6204's today. I guess I would have got the wrong ones for my bike. Would'nt that have been a below average experience!! :huh: What is the purpose of the cir-clip? How do I drive them out with the spacer tube in there? Cheer! Alan

Have a great trip!

Dave , not sure where you got those #s. I found the # on my drive side and it is a 6204 I'm not sure about the LF.side ,I think I have to remove the c-clip to get at it. Does any body know if both sides are the same on a 2000 sport?

How do I drive them out with the spacer tube in there? Cheer! Alan

It is a pain... There is a notch in the spacer tube where it rest on the bearing race. This allows you to insert a punch or other makeshift tool(screwdriver) through the spacer tube into the notch and bang away! I didn't worry about it (bearing) and just drove the race out mine was mostly gone anyway. Hope that helps.

D

LF usually means left front so maybe Dave thought you wanted front wheel bearing info. :huh2:

Guilty as charged! That is exactly what I thought.

Sorry about the confusion.

What does LF mean?

Indeed 6204 is the correct number for the rear wheel bearings, and I suppose since it is the rear wheel, the bearings need removal.

The OEM bearing is 6204 2RS1 / C3 90 20 42 20

sealed bearing with dimensions of 20x47x14

NAPA part number is 6204-2RSJ

But 6204number ending in /C3 allegedly would be the ideal tolerance, as Tom suggested, so getting through McMaster-Carr is probably the way to go.

Please note, many bikes shipped with too short of a bearing spacer, resulting in premature bearing failure.

You might want to make sure that a short bearing spacer is not the cause for your's failing.

Guilty as charged! That is exactly what I thought.

Sorry about the confusion.

What does LF mean?

Indeed 6204 is the correct number for the rear wheel bearings, and I suppose since it is the rear wheel, the bearings need removal.

The OEM bearing is 6204 2RS1 / C3 90 20 42 20

sealed bearing with dimensions of 20x47x14

NAPA part number is 6204-2RSJ

But 6204number ending in /C3 allegedly would be the ideal tolerance, as Tom suggested, so getting through McMaster-Carr is probably the way to go.

Please note, many bikes shipped with too short of a bearing spacer, resulting in premature bearing failure.

You might want to make sure that a short bearing spacer is not the cause for your's failing.

I was talking about the left side when I wrote LF. I should have written Lf for left or even better LR for left rear, sorry ,Next time. Anyway I changed both LR and RR to 6204 c3. With bearings fully seated the spacer has no lateral play but has vertical movement. Is this a correct spacer? Cheer!

I was talking about the left side when I wrote LF. I should have written Lf for left or even better LR for left rear, sorry ,Next time. Anyway I changed both LR and RR to 6204 c3. With bearings fully seated the spacer has no lateral play but has vertical movement. Is this a correct spacer? Cheer!

Lazy typer! :lol: (I guess that makes me a lazy or lousy reader :homer: )

Yes, you want NO lateral play.

It should be fine, especially since you got the C3 bearings.

If the bearings have tighter tolerance you need to be more sure that under axle torque, the bearings are not over stressed.

Once under torque, there should be no vertical movement of the spacer, but you won't see that, so to test, torque the axle, and turn the wheel, looking for no increased friction.

If you do find increased friction, either the bearing is not seated properly, or the spacer is too short.

Ideally the spacer should have been pulled, measured, and the space between bearings should have been measured. But measuring accurately can be tricky, and just torquing and testing for zero increased friction should be adequate.