Carbon Fibre

cash1000

Have just purchased a 2001 Rosso Mandello V11. Previous owner has painted front guard and fairing red in an attempt to match existing paintwork. The guard and fairing appear to be carbon fibre (as the should be with this model). How do you remove the paint and still leave a good finish? Why whats the point in having carbon fibre if you cant see it? <_>

Have just purchased a 2001 Rosso Mandello V11. Previous owner has painted front guard and fairing red in an attempt to match existing paintwork. The guard and fairing appear to be carbon fibre (as the should be with this model). How do you remove the paint and still leave a good finish? Why whats the point in having carbon fibre if you cant see it? <_>

Unexposed carbon will last longer as UVlight eventually !@#$s it. As it was orginally used on race bike and race bikes typically don't last a season it doesn't matter so much. There is a company called Ardrox which does a composite materials paint stripper, won't be cheap though.

• 2 weeks later...
Unexposed carbon will last longer as UVlight eventually !@#$s it. As it was orginally used on race bike and race bikes typically don't last a season it doesn't matter so much. There is a company called Ardrox which does a composite materials paint stripper, won't be cheap though.

Thanks for the information I will see if available in New Zealand and how much.

Carb Cleaner. In the spray can. This will normally take most paints off fairly quickly, luckly clear coats and resins are a little more resistive. Spary some on a rag and wipe vigorously. Normally the paint will come of fairly quickly, particularly if this was an at home spray job. Acetone will also work very quickly, but can soften and damage the resin of the CF much more quickly. After the paint i removed the CF will be very dull looking, traditional buff and wax trechniques will quickly bring it back to life.

And the carb cleaner will quicly soften the black engine case glop, for those of you wishing for a non-bubbled apperence.

Acetone will also work very quickly, but can soften and damage the resin of the CF much more quickly. After the paint i removed the CF will be very dull looking, traditional buff and wax trechniques will quickly bring it back to life.

I think more often than not, carbon fiber is laid up using epoxy type resins instead of the more traditional poly/vinyl ester resins. IIRC the epoxy resins are more resistant to acetone than the poly/vinyl ester resins.

Instead of doing the buff/wax on the carbon fiber, personally I'd spray several layers of a UV resistant top coat, then buff and wax. For my stuff I use clear System Three WR-LPU topcoat. Not cheap at $54/Quart, but well worth it.