tank suck

Guest Le Man

Guest Le Man

Finally got around to addressing the TS Syndrome on my bike yesterday. The tip over valve was installed correctly but was totally inop. I think I will autopsy it this morning (idle curiosity) and see why it failed. Removed the canister while I was there, blocked off the intake line w/bolt and pushed it up a bit out of the way.

I noticed that my tank is being abraded by the fairing in a few places and the solution seems to be to "adjust" the mounting pieces that attach to the valve cover (smack 'em w/ a small hammer).

Anyway..my question for the group is this..what is the armoured line that goes from the oil pan to the frame of the bike up under the tank?

Thanks Guys!

Mike

Mikie,

That would be the oil return line from the spine of the frame. Guzzi uses the spine of the frame to catch the oil from the blowby (crankcase pressure). :o In the frame the oil vapors can condense, turning back into a liquid thus findings its way back to the engine sump via the steel braided line. Whoa, now that is science at work! :thumbsup:

Other Mikie

Guest Jeff Kelland

Ahhhh, overkill maybe, but as any owner of a high end steel bicycle frame can tell you, that oil mist will protect at least that portion of the frame from iternal rust! :grin:

Guest Le Man

Thanks Guys!

That is so cool. I am starting to like this bike a bit more than I did originally.

I have a confession to make..I have been looking at 1150 RT's the last few days because I was getting fed up with some of the minor

, yet annoying, mechanical problems and parts delivery problems I have been having.

Then I got on a great site, a real good, active BMW Forum to check out these bikes. I know, of course, that problems are what is discussed on the Forums but you wouldn't believe the troubles these BMW's have and ,more surprising, how fast the value drops and how hard they are to sell for a good price. I know I can't get too much for any used bike except a Harley but relative to an 1150RT I didn't pay too much for my Lemans and I do like it.

I do like the ABS system (something I was sure I would hate but you have to try it to before you knock it) and the fit and finish is real nice but if you buy a new one you are going to drop 17,500 after taxes and that is a lot. So I now have a bit more appreciation for the 'Guz and as I found out, BMW's are not free of problems either.

Mike

Ahhhh, overkill maybe, but as any owner of a high end steel bicycle frame can tell you, that oil mist will protect at least that portion of the frame from iternal rust! :grin:

Thats why I ride a carbon fiber Kestrel, my sweat just peels the paint off of any steel or aluminum bicycle frame! Come to think of it, even the powder coated frames failed under my sweat. :bike:

Mike

Thanks Guys!

That is so cool. I am starting to like this bike a bit more than I did originally.

I have a confession to make..I have been looking at 1150 RT's the last few days because I was getting fed up with some of the minor

, yet annoying, mechanical problems and parts delivery problems I have been having.

Then I got on a great site, a real good, active BMW Forum to check out these bikes. I know, of course, that problems are what is discussed on the Forums but you wouldn't believe the troubles these BMW's have and ,more surprising, how fast the value drops and how hard they are to sell for a good price. I know I can't get too much for any used bike except a Harley but relative to an 1150RT I didn't pay too much for my Lemans and I do like it.

I do like the ABS system (something I was sure I would hate but you have to try it to before you knock it) and the fit and finish is real nice but if you buy a new one you are going to drop 17,500 after taxes and that is a lot. So I now have a bit more appreciation for the 'Guz and as I found out, BMW's are not free of problems either.

Mike

When I sold my 94 R1100 RSL, the head gaskets were starting to leak oil as well as every other seal on the bike. I had only 20,000 miles on the bike. I have at least that amount of miles on my 00 V11Sport (don't really know since the speedo was broken for so long) and overall I think the Guzzi is holding up better. They also had transmission bearing problems on the earlier transmission in which many customers with alot of miles on their bikes usually replaced the whole transmission.

Mike

Guest Jeff Kelland

Mike, I ride a Rocky Mountain aluminum frame with a Kestrel carbon fork. No problems with the powder coat yet, maybe I'm not riding hard enough! :rolleyes: I think maybe we need to consider contracting out for a carbon frame for our geese! :rolleyes: