FBF Crossover Cracked

Well, can't say I wasn't warned........purchased FBF crossover in January, after about 2000 miles it cracked all to hell. I had talked to FBF about the potential problem before purchasing and they said that it was not a common problem, but would warranty it if it did. I sent it back and they sent me a new one no questions asked. I have the new one at a weld shop right now getting it reinforced. Anyone have simular experience and was able to overcome it? (There goes my warranty)

Thanks, I had read the "Tale of 3 Crossovers", but hadn't seen the second one. I was having a piece welded in simular to the one shown, I think I will go ahead and have the bracket made up for mine as well, hopefully that will prevent future cracking.

I have an FBF with about 5000 miles on it. No modification other than clamping a plate to it to make use of the factory hanger. No cracks. (where is that knock wood emoticon when I need it)

These kind of parts usually will crack if in a bind. If they can't move freely on the mounts it will surely crack from vibration. When you install keep everything loose including the head pipes. Put the whole system together. Align everything and wiggle it around to make sure nothing is in a bind and is hanging from the mountings naturally. Then snug everything evenly from front to rear.

Then snug everything evenly from front to rear.

As a side note, Greg Field has said his shop uses a strap tie down to lightly snug the front crossover between the exhaust pipes, and then tighten the cross over clamps first, then heads, and on in the sequence of "front to back". This is supposed to be the technique to avoid the dreaded "Floppy Pipe that blocks your alternator cover Blues" :o

Guest frankdugo

hey mason,when it cools down some,how about giving us at cl. fl. guzzi yahoogroups a tour of jax.inlets-ride up to ferandina beach maby. i am talking to jaxman right?

[Hey Frank, Yea, that's me Jaxlemans on the "other site". Sounds good. Let me know when it cools down enough, we'll take a ride up there.

Thanks for the input on the crossover, I have it in the weldshop right now getting some reinforcement, hopefully that and carefull installation will prevent future cracks.