High enough?

dhansen

I'm sure I could just dive in and figure this out as I go but I figured I might get a jump on things by asking..........

How high must the rear wheel be off the ground (or lift) to easily remove it? I remember seeing photos of someone suspending the rear of the bike from a tree with all kinds of air for clearance. Would typical centerstand or Guzzi shop stand height be enough?

TIA, Dennis.

Well if you still have the original rear fender you probably need to go high enough to get around that. If you have an eliminator kit & no rear mudgard like me, you just loosen the axle nut while its on the ground, disconnect the rear brake caliper. Then lift it just enough to take pressure off the rear axle to pull it out. The tire should just roll out after that.

Pay attention to the spacer inside the rear drive as that has to go back in when you're done.

I still have the stock rear fender, and I only raise mine 3- 4", it takes a bit of careful wiggling, but it comes out no problem. Of course, higher will give you more clearance, and further to set it down, while testing my bad lower back, when she drops :lol:. Hey, as I get older :oldgit: , I consider this stuff...

I still have the stock rear fender, and I only raise mine 3- 4", it takes a bit of careful wiggling, but it comes out no problem. Of course, higher will give you more clearance, and further to set it down, while testing my bad lower back, when she drops :lol:. Hey, as I get older :oldgit: , I consider this stuff...

Yes Henry you dont need to raise it a whole lot higher with the fender in, but it does make it easier. The main thing I've found is to find the sweet spot where the axle is "floating" in the rear drive to pull it out. After that I just lift it a little higher & roll the wheel backwards.

P.S. If you dont completely remove the axle from the rear drive you wont have to support the rear drive while the wheel is out. I tie the torque rod up to the swingarm with twine anyway as a precaution.