Head light unit replacement options

Guest danhunt56

Guest danhunt56

I have a 2002 V11 Scura which came with a Luxor Headlight. My brother has a 2001 Rosso Mendolo, I am not sure of the brand as the bike is not here to inspect. From what I could surmise from the various topics on this forum is that it is probably a Bosch unit. My major complaint with the Luxor is that it had a kind of cup over the light bulp made of stamped metal that broke off and that the only replacement refletor unit for it is nearly $200. What I want is my brothers. So I went to order one from Harpers and they had one in stock so I asked them to check it and yes it was a Bosch, but it too had the, what shall I call it, bulb cover. In previous topics there was discusion about being able to replace the Bosch Reflector with a BMW one for about 20 bucks. Does anyone know a part number for the 2001 bucket that works with the BMW Reflector?

Also, at the MG Cycle site they have pictured a Breva 750 light that looks absolutly identical to my light save it does not have the offensive metal bulb cover. Problem is that MG cycle (www.mgcycle.com/lighting.html) sold the last one. So I am suspecting that there are many alternatives in the Moto Guzzi Catalog of parts and that prices vary for possibly the same part. I was wondering if anyone has access to information (such as works at a moto guzzi warehouse or a dealer that stocks emense supplies of parts) and could or has done the research. Certainly the folks at the factory know, but Moto Guzzi US has no way to contact them as their "contact us" button does not work, amongs others.

This seems like such a simple subject as many manufacturers seem to use the same size lights and I doubt Bosch, et al, are making special buckets for every small motorcycle maker that comes along.

So, anyone have any ideas where to get more information or has it to share, basically what is the cheapest way to relight our V11's with a quality OEM style Headlight?

Thanks,

Daniel

My major complaint with the Luxor is that it had a kind of cup over the light bulp made of stamped metal that broke off

Do you need the stamped metal cup?

Mine fell off my Bosch refector years ago.

If it is like the Bosch you can pull the glass lens off the reflector to access and remove the stamped metal cup.

You will probably get better lighting than you would with the cup. Possibly more irritating to on coming drivers, and possibly illegal, but wtf, goodonya mate!