Dying Alternator

wambiker

Hi all, I was coming in from a ride a couple of days ago and the alternator light came on-2000 v11, and refused to go out at any revs. Having gone through the melting fuse, blown battery and knackered regulator symptoms twice already. The last time this happened replaced all the wiring from alternator to battery with heavy duty cable and fuse holder and terminal, so I know this is ok, so suspected regulator, again! Started at alternator the same as usual, to discover instead of the usual 10-80 volts ac, I am only getting about 15 max, I know from past experience that there is little that can be done with alternators when they fail, unless anyone knows different. Are all the v11, and similar engines-calis etc all the same alternator. Any help or ideas gratefully received.

Cheers Gary :bier:

Did you measure the alternator voltage with regulator disconnected? If not, a partly shorted regulator may give that effect I guess. Here's a snippet from my WHB:

With the engine switched off, disconnect the two yellow generator cables from the rest of the system and then carry out the following tests with a ohmmeter:

Check the winding isolation towards earth

Connect one connecting point of the ohmmeter to one of the two yellow cables and the other connecting point to earth (laminar pack). The instrument should indicate a value above 10 M

Check the winding continuity

Connect the two connecting points of the ohmmeter to the two yellow cables. The instrument should indicate a value of 0.2-0.3 ohms.

Check the voltage output

Connect an alternate 200 Volt capacity voltmeter to the two yellow cables. Start the motor and check that the voltage output is included within the values indicated on the following tables:

r.p.m. 1000 3000 6000

A.C. volts 15 40 80

Did you try the other measurements, isolation and continuity? I guess you're right the alternator is busted. It seems Sporti, California 3 and Quota use the same one.

Edit: maybe not really, it seems the Cali used a Saprisa alternator. I just saw this aftermarket alternator that claimed to fit V11, Sporti, Cali 3 and Quota. Anyway if you look around at http://www.stein-dinse.com/eliste/ you'll be able to find bikes with the same type.