slight stumble or hiccup at rpm below 3000

2or4strokes

Hi Guys

I hope some of you guys can help me with this problem I am having with my sports 1100i. The bike runs well except that at low rpm of 3000and lower it some stumble or has a hiccup on the engine while moving. My mechanic says it has to do with the ignition pulse pick up or flywheel sensor and is common among sports 1100i. Any idea whether this is true and is also affecting fellow Guzzi owners?

2or4strokes

My 87 SE used to until i learned the cure. Keep the tach between 5000 and 7800 rpm and you will have NO problems. I promise....

p.s. i thought the 1100 sport was carb.?

On my bike it was completely cured by setting Raceco valve lash (0.20/0.25 mm) and turning the CO potentiometer inside the ECU (under the rubber cover) 1/8 turn anti-clockwise. There are other ways but this one costs nothing, so give it a try.

Turn the CO pot. with engine idling, and just aim for the smoothest idle. For me the results (even way off idle) was so amazing I haven't even bothered trying setting it better.

Anti-clockwise is richer, so apparently that was what my bike needed.

Thanks Guys

Already been playing with the air fuel mixture on the ecu and has already obtained the smoothest idle but problem is still there. Also using iridium plugs and as to valve clearance, bike is only 1500km. Ya my sports 1100i is fuel injection G stallons

are you running a Powercommander or any like product? My 03 was running like crap (as yours) after a TPS and throttle body adjustment it was worse. I was ready to burn the bike to the ground til I went to a shop that sold and serviced PC products. One remapping download and my stumble was gone FOREVER!

Already been playing with the air fuel mixture on the ecu and has already obtained the smoothest idle but problem is still there. Also using iridium plugs and as to valve clearance, bike is only 1500km.

I'm also running iridium plugs but I can't notice any difference other than they last longer. I'm not sure if that compensates the price.

Are you sure about those valves? The fact it's almost new does not guarantee you have a sane clearance. You don't have to run Raceco spec, just don't let it go any tighter than world spec. Set them rather loose than tight. I recently had mine go tight (they seem to vary back and forth, maybe cause my guides are so worn so they seat a little different) and the stumbles immediately came back. I set them at Raceco spec at the camping in Mandello del Lario and she's been very happy since.

I'm also running iridium plugs but I can't notice any difference other than they last longer. I'm not sure if that compensates the price.

Are you sure about those valves? The fact it's almost new does not guarantee you have a sane clearance. You don't have to run Raceco spec, just don't let it go any tighter than world spec. Set them rather loose than tight.

"A tapping tappet is a happy tappet!" I'm with raz on checking those valve clearances. It's simple, easy, cheap and then you can cross that off your list 100% :thumbsup: Good Luck! S.H.

Ok based on what I heard, Valve clearances to be checked.

Checked throttle prosition again

checked CO

and RIDE ABOVE 3000RPM

thanks guys will do all to see if it works and report accordingly.

OH I forgot to mention I have a Will Creedon chip on my bike but I am sure this chip is good and is not causing this problem althoguh I have not ridden the bike with the original chip.

The dealer for Powercommander had the best and easiest test to se if your "chip" is out of tune or at fault. Take the device out of circuit and ride the bike.If it is no different you know the device is not at fault and you should look elsewhere.

WhenI used the word "chip I was referring to the computer.

The Powercommander is a computer to itself that is wired in series withe the factory computer. You take it out of series to test to see if you have the same symptoms. I have not looked inside the factory computer to see if there is a removeable DIP (dual inline package) or EPROM to change.

I have not looked inside the factory computer to see if there is a removeable DIP (dual inline package) or EPROM to change.

The V1100Sporti's ECU is a 16M a removable chip, with the Creedon chip being the most famous.

The V11 has a 15M with no easily removable chip, but many more options for modifying mapping than the 16M has. Removing the chip is apparently possible, but I think requires expertise in soldering and flashing and probably code hacking.