The scooter qoutient

It is no new news that with fuel costs, scooter sales are soaring. Every dealer I've been to has very few bikes in the show room. There is nowhere near the amount of scooters on the road here as in Europe but the numbers are rising and I was wondering what the long term impact will be.

When I've ridden in Italy, car drivers were far more aware of and courteous to two wheelers than what I've been accustomed to stateside. One theory is that nearly everybody started on a scooter. They understand what it is like to negotiate traffic on two wheels.

I feel if more people ride, be it motorcycle or scooter, they will become safer car drivers in regards to cycles around them.

Then, just as I'm having that thought I see this idiot buzz by my shop. I'm on a fairly busy 4 lane city street. This guy comes by at about 50mph on one of those new large scooters. He is in shorts & flip flops, no helmet or glasses and riding with his right hand on the throttle and left hand holding his phone to his ear. He is going fast enough that he has to crouch down behind the windshield to hear his phone.

There is little doubt that this is a future crash statistic. Imbeciles like this will likely lead to more safety legislation and higher insurance rates for the rest of us.

I just don't know what to think.:huh2:

It is no new news that with fuel costs, scooter sales are soaring. Every dealer I've been to has very few bikes in the show room. There is nowhere near the amount of scooters on the road here as in Europe but the numbers are rising and I was wondering what the long term impact will be.

When I've ridden in Italy, car drivers were far more aware of and courteous to two wheelers than what I've been accustomed to stateside. One theory is that nearly everybody started on a scooter. They understand what it is like to negotiate traffic on two wheels.

I feel if more people ride, be it motorcycle or scooter, they will become safer car drivers in regards to cycles around them.

Then, just as I'm having that thought I see this idiot buzz by my shop. I'm on a fairly busy 4 lane city street. This guy comes by at about 50mph on one of those new large scooters. He is in shorts & flip flops, no helmet or glasses and riding with his right hand on the throttle and left hand holding his phone to his ear. He is going fast enough that he has to crouch down behind the windshield to hear his phone.

There is little doubt that this is a future crash statistic. Imbeciles like this will likely lead to more safety legislation and higher insurance rates for the rest of us.

I just don't know what to think.:huh2:

I know it is frustrating to see it, but just know that you can be an example when you are out there riding. My in-laws have a beach house in Delaware (a no-helmet state), and just about EVERY person on a scooter there is in shorts, a t-shirt (or no shirt) and in flip flops or no shoes, and definitely sans helmet. Whenever I meet people who are new to riding, I preach the Gospel of ATGATT... if they choose to follow it or not, it is up to them.

:wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

I see the total 360 from no shirt and flip flops evey day on my ride to work. I cant tell if its a man or woman on a retro looking vespa wearing what looks like replica aria helmet and full leathers moving a long a about fifty or so. I live in a pretty rural area so the scooter thing hasnt really hit here. but it was good to see a rider with the right gear.

I would not be worried about insurance rates going up too much because of this trend.

I get my medical insurance through work and so I don't elect any specific motorcycle injury insurance.

I suppose packs of mods riding Vespas might inflict liable damage to each other, but for the most part the damage will be self-inflicted, with their general medical or NO insurance covering the damage. Also, the cars held responsible for not seeing the itty bitty scooters will have insurance covering much of the damage. So, yah, car insurance might go up a little, but I don't think we'll see much of a change other than from inflation, and the rising incidences of natural disasters, that effect the pool of money in the insurance business.

My biggest fear is that I will be charged a higher medical insurance rate because I ride a motorcycle, drink alcohol, eat donuts, go for walks in cougar country, and my great great great grand father died of some hereditary disease. But so far, my insurance charges the same for everybody, including smokers.

There was talk about metering vehicles mileage for billing purposes. Good grief! you could imagine having to fit a certified odometer on everything.

But back to the plethora of scooters. I much more agree with Dan's first point that it will create greater awareness of two-wheels out on the road.

And maybe some Italian scooter people will evolve to Guzzi and Aprilias that they see in the shops.

There was talk about metering vehicles mileage for billing purposes. Good grief! you could imagine having to fit a certified odometer on everything

We have that system here, on car insurance. But the OEM odo is fine, and actually noone will check if you're stating a too low mileage, unless you wreck your car. Also, at the annual MOT inspections they will write down the odo figures. If you drive less than you forecasted, you can apply for getting some money back.

The mileage classes goes like this:

0-10000 km/year

10000-15000

15000-20000

20000-25000

25000 and up

The highest class was about 35% more expensive than the lowest when I tested it on a website just now. I'm not sure if that ratio depends on a lot of stuff and may vary more.

Motorcycles aren't affected though.

snip

I guess we have that system here too.

At least they ask us what our annual mileage is, but I have never had them check the odometer.

Fears of certified GPS devices monitoring our every move worry me.

A certified odometer I guess is not so bad, but it would be ridiculous to retrofit it to vehicles.

I suppose big brother will start with voluntary GPSs accompanied with discounts.

Some rental cars are doing it.