Dunlop Roadsmart...

rocker59

to start--i weigh 135 lb,gained a few in the past couple.around 36 lbs front&rear.riding here is99% flat straits.i rarely ride hard on the bottom end [once in a blue moon],although i do ride hard on the top.only use brakes in emergency.very concencious of shifting smoothly,so as never to cause wear.never a whelie or burn out.all that being said weight is the major factor

Weight... Must be...

I do ride pretty aggressively on our mountain roads here, but I weigh 230-lbs also. Add another 100 to 150-lbs depending on my passenger... I had lots of 2-up miles on the last Z6 rear. I was running it at about 38-psi...

Well, hopefully this Dunlop will last a little longer.

I'm gonna need new tires soon and was considering the Diablo Stradas since it got such good reviews. The Roadsmarts were rated as good if I remmeber but the Stradas are a single compound and the Dunlop dual compound. Does that sound correct? I weigh roughly what you do Mike so I'm interested to know your impression and results. I'd like to get at least 8k out of a set. I had 6k on the Z6s when I replaced them for my CO trip. I didn't think I could make it there and back so I got a set of M3s from the dealer you mentioned. BTW, I can't remember his name but one of the parts guy will match internet prices.

Dave

PS, there is talk of a Triumph get together in the TX Hill Country in October.

Greg,

American Motorcycle Tire, whom I've ordered from before, shows the 180/55-17 Diablo Strada at $133. It shows the Dunlop Roadsmart at $138.

I paid $140 for the Roadsmart at my local big box store that specializes in carrying Dunlop tires.

A negligible price difference for me. I don't know what your pricing is. I know that different dealers get different deals from the suppliers...

I would love to have a rear tire last 8,000 miles. I've yet to have that happen. I came close a few years ago with Pirelli's Dragon GTS. I loved that tire.

Usually the tires that other people say will last 8,000 miles last me maybe 6,000 miles. I'm hoping to see 8,000 with the Roadsmart. Other people are claiming 9,000-10,000 miles...

It's great living in the golden age of motorcycling. We have so many choices on everything. There are lots of great tires out there. The Metzeler Z6 is a really good tire. I just wanted to try the latest hotness, the Roadsmart.

Now my Sport 1100 needs new skins. I've been running the Bridgeston BT-014. Great tire on that bike. I'm trying to decide whether to stay with 'em, or try something else...

Weight... Must be...

You got that right Mike. Weight matters. I put Z6s on my RT a couple of years ago. The front was showing the off center wear and starting to cup in a few thousand miles. I did have an issue early on with it losing some air and consequently put some miles on it with less than optimum pressure. I'm sure that contributed to the wear pattern. I have yet to have that type of wear on my V11 with any tire. I always ride the V11 solo and often ride the RT 2up.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a 2,200 +/- miles trip to New Mexico.

1,550 miles were high-speed Interstate-40 at 80 to 100 mph speeds.

I measured the tread depth at the center and it is a little better than 3mm.

The tire now has 2,500 miles on it. At that rate, it should last a little more than 6,000 miles.

Hopefully it will last longer than that as for the next few thousand miles, the bike will live mostlyon the curvy roads in The Hills of Northwest Arkansas.

I can say that the tire handles GREAT! I was on over 600 miles of sweeping mountain roads in New Mexico. The turn-in is great. Line adjustments are easy. Overall the Roadsmart seems to be a great tire!

I'll update again soon.

I've got the Roadsmarts now, yeah. So far, so good, but smoked up the rear overbraking in a Homer :homer: (you mean that guy's gonna turn in front of me? Well, yeah. Duh!)

With over 60,000 miles on the Sport now (I dunno how many tires), I'm the guy who gets 4500 out of a rear and MAYBE 6000 on the front (unless it's a "Corse") by basic dog-fight riding: rip it up through the gears and back down: howling all the way. I keep telling myself I'll stop. And this Scotch, too.

My fuel economy ain't too hot neither.

I'll get back to you on the Roadsmarts. At least they haven't performed like the Michelin Pilot Road-Rash did for me (8^).

Ride well, go to Barber's for the Vintage Days, docc

Greg,

American Motorcycle Tire, whom I've ordered from before, shows the 180/55-17 Diablo Strada at $133. It shows the Dunlop Roadsmart at $138.

I paid $140 for the Roadsmart at my local big box store that specializes in carrying Dunlop tires.

A negligible price difference for me. I don't know what your pricing is. I know that different dealers get different deals from the suppliers...

I would love to have a rear tire last 8,000 miles. I've yet to have that happen. I came close a few years ago with Pirelli's Dragon GTS. I loved that tire.

Usually the tires that other people say will last 8,000 miles last me maybe 6,000 miles. I'm hoping to see 8,000 with the Roadsmart. Other people are claiming 9,000-10,000 miles...

It's great living in the golden age of motorcycling. We have so many choices on everything. There are lots of great tires out there. The Metzeler Z6 is a really good tire. I just wanted to try the latest hotness, the Roadsmart.

Now my Sport 1100 needs new skins. I've been running the Bridgeston BT-014. Great tire on that bike. I'm trying to decide whether to stay with 'em, or try something else...

you guys sure get cheap tires ,here in aus the tires u quote would cost $240-$300 and even allowing for exchange rates etc :o