shaft alignment

moto mez

When removing the rear wheel I found it easier to remove the bevel box also, which of course led to my separating the two halves of the shaft.

I understand I must align some marks when re-assembling the shaft but I can only see what appear to be two dots punched into the steel outer of the front piece near to where the front and rear sections actually join but what about the marks on the rear section?

I can see a couple of notches cut in part of the rear universal joint are these the ones?

Any help greatly appreciated.

there should be yellow paint lines on each part.when you put back together--first remove the grease fiting ,makes it alot easier

Unfortunately there are no yellow paint lines on mine, it's a 2004 Ballabio by the way. Thanks for you input all the same :o)

If the lines are missing or have been removed the important thing is that the trunnions of the couplings be aligned.

These are the 'Crosses' in the front and rear universal joints and they must work in the same plane so that when the shaft is assembled it looks like

X-----------X

not

X-----------+

As it were.

Pete

If the lines are missing or have been removed the important thing is that the trunnions of the couplings be aligned.

These are the 'Crosses' in the front and rear universal joints and they must work in the same plane so that when the shaft is assembled it looks like

X-----------X

not

X-----------+

As it were.

Pete

Thanks Pete

I just got back from having another look and also attempting to grease the rear UJ, think it's done.

On closer inspection I have found identical marks on the rear part as those I noticed on the front part. As I explained earlier they aren't painted rather they are punched into the steel.

I will check whether when these are aligned the 'trunnions of the couplings' are aligned as you described.

Thanks again

Dave