detonation

quazi-moto

Higher compression; advanced timing; combustion chamber deposits; lean mixture; high engine load; high ambient temp.

Solutions to Higher compression are:

Lower compression

Reshaped combustion chamber and or piston.

Reduced squish (a counterintuitive approach since it raises compression, but experts say it reduces pinging.)

Solutions to combustion chamber deposits:

Seafoam (never tried it)

proper map to eliminate overly rich spots on the map. (apparently debatable)

Solutions to lean mixture:

tune-up

re-map

go back to stock mufflers

Solutions to high engine load:

ride slower <_>

Go on diet :rolleyes:

EDIT oh yeah, downshift (downshifting may be viable solution if you ping at 3000 rpm but if you ping at 6000 RPM all bets are off).

Solutions to high ambient temperature:

Don't ride in Summer.

Big Bore water cooled kit.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree.

If the pinging is caused by too lean mixture (which is the case with a stock setting to begin with and then, after some modifications to intake/exhaust it becomes really excessive) then richening is NOT the short term solution BUT the only proper one and no carbon build-up is expected.

Once again: first make sure the mixture is close to proper one and then worry about valves, TPS, idle, balance etc.

Unless Im missing something. If that is the case please tell me what.

Anything that causes the fuel to ignite spontaneously and create a second flame front will cause pinging. Higher combustion temps are a major cause but a poor combustion chamber shape that doesn't allow the charge to burn smoothly and completely can also add to the possibility of pinging.

I'm sure some of the bikes here ping from a lean mix, some from burning low octane fuel, some with a pile of carbon built up, some that have excessively high compression, some only in hot dry weather, and others that like to open the throttle wide at low RPM in a high gear. Usually it is a combination of factors. that is why some do it and others do not.

I would say that valve adjustment, TPS adjustment and T-body balancing are often causes for poor running on these machines they are not likely a source of pinging.