Indicator problems

wambiker

Hi all, just a quick question for anyone who may have come across this problem before. I have changed all the original indicators for smaller arrow types, bulbs not leds, and have replaced rear setup with a home made tail tidy and led taillight. Initially everything was fine but then the indicators started to flash slowly, and also the taillight pulsed with the indicators, just like an old ford. I changed the flasher can and made up all new earths back to a good chassis earth. The indicators still flashed slowly, but had a trip I was leading over the last couple of days so had to try and manage, then on the second day the indicators packed up all together, on getting home and checking there was live feed to the can, but nothing coming out, bridged can terminals and had light on each side as I operated the switch. So obviously a dead flasher can, no great problem there, but on checking the fuse supply to the can, with the can out and fuse out, there is 9.0 volts on the can side of the fuse! I am assuming a wiring problem around the fuse box or a problem with the fuse box itself. But before I pull everything apart has anyone come across this before, or if anyone has their bike handy and a meter is this normal (I know it sounds odd, but would just like a second opinion before I start chasing a problem that doesn't exist).

Cheers Gary

You have a connection problem. You should not see a 3 volt drop going to the flasher relay "can?" This is the reason ou have a slow flash. Recheck you wiring. You also can get a relay that has a "fixed flash time" as compared to the old style current draw can. This can help keep the blinks blinking when you change the total circuit resistance by changing bulbs.

one of this will help. ;)

Maybe in the short term, but that would be like fixing a broken leg with a pain killer so we need some real treatment too. Is there 12V on the other side of that fuse? Have you tried wiggling the fuse, spraying the sockets with electrical cleaner, or replacing it?

I believe he said he had 9v WITH THE FUSE REMOVED. Sounds even more like a wiring issue. May be some wires melted together or something. Good luck.

Hi, the 9 volts is in a wire that as far as I can see should have no volts in it at all. It is the wire from the flasher can back to the fuse box, and the voltage reading is from the dead side of the fuse holder not the supply one. I think there mast be a couple of chaffed wires somewhere but will have to wait till the weekend to have a good look.

Cheers Gary