USA Dealer Meeting 2008

rocker59

I copied this from another forum. The info is courtesy of Jason at Speaker's Cycle. Interesting that both the Breva 1100 and Breva 1200 Sport are not being imported:

2009 Model line up & M.S.R.P.

Norge 1200 $15,690 Bronze, Silver, Black NO red (No Changes other that the one color)

Cal Vintage $14,990 Black/White & White (No Changes other than the color)

Stelvio $14,990 Black & Red

Griso 1200 $14,290 Black & White

V7 Classic $8,490 White

V7 Available late October 2008 All others should be available now

does not include $430 Freight bill

No Breva 1100, No Breva 750, No Nevada, 750 and No 1200 Sport all those models will not becomming back to the USA for 2009.

The meeting was basically about scooters. They talked 2 hours about scooters and about 10 minutes on Motorcycles. Then we had a seperate meeting for Guzzi only and it was about 30 minutes

Moto Guzzi increased sales by 3% between September 2007 and August 2008. (they didn't give actual number of bikes sold)

There were 86 existing dealers that were dealers for 12 months or longer and 26 that are less than 12 months old. There are currently 122 MG dealers in the USA. There were 56 when Piaggio took over in 2005 (Can't Say how many have come and gone in this time period either)

1 exisiting sold 50 or more (MI)

3 existing sold 26 - 50 (Speaker's, Thousand Oaks, MPH)

5 exisinting sold 11-25

67 existing and 15 new shops sold 1-10

10 existing and 21 new shops sold 0 bikes this year.

67 existing and 15 new shops sold 1-10

10 existing and 21 new shops sold 0 bikes this year.

Those are some scary numbers. With numbers like that, not one of these shops can afford to carry Guzzi as their primary sales focus. The phrase "red-headed step-child" comes to mind. For those who aren't paying attention, that's 3/4 of the U.S. dealer net cannot afford to treat Guzzi as more than a bit player in their sales mix. Ouch.

Guest britbiker

Yes, they are. Making some rough guesses at what the real figure behind 1-10 and the other categories actually are, that means total US sales of about 350, which is less than one a day. Here in the UK I would think the figure is less than half that - and that's generous. 'Niche' doesn't even begin to describe Guzzi ownership these days!

Yes, they are. Making some rough guesses at what the real figure behind 1-10 and the other categories actually are, that means total US sales of about 350, which is less than one a day. Here in the UK I would think the figure is less than half that - and that's generous. 'Niche' doesn't even begin to describe Guzzi ownership these days!

It's hard to figure USA import figures from these dealer stats.

USA imports are said to be 10% of Guzzi's world production, or about 1,100 to 1,200 units...

3 existing sold 26 - 50 (Speaker's, Thousand Oaks, MPH)

I would be shocked to see if this is repeated for the 2008-2009 sales year, based on the reaction of people to that dealer's choice to not make themselves available for service to Guzzi owners who attended the 2008 National Rally in Malibu after previously publicly stating that he would do so.

Then again - if the buyers are ALL new to Guzzi... I could eat my hat.

might as well offer to eat a Cessna, I think youre safe ^_^

I'd still like a Stelvio in silver BUT 15k for the thing is too high for me considering parts and dealer support who cares if it has the best warranty, hell give it a 10 year warranty its worthless if you can't get it worked on or even simple parts take out most if not all of your riding season(up north) With all that considered I would have to find one for literally half that to pull the trigger. I'm leaning Triumph in the cruiser dept, not the greatest dealer network but easy enough to live with, who knows I'm 3 years out from a new ride anyway <_>

with so little bikes sold, it's not surprising that they don't do all models. And when talking sold bikes I assume each dealer also has average 2 bikes in stock, so that's 250 bikes still in stock. And you there get the bikes a lot cheaper then we get them. And then you are all waiting until the brevas 1100 get cleaned out for even less. So all buy a new one before Piaggio shuts down Guzzi in the USA

I don't think guzzi sold 10.000 bikes last year worldwide, but a lot less.

with so little bikes sold, it's not surprising that they don't do all models. And when talking sold bikes I assume each dealer also has average 2 bikes in stock, so that's 250 bikes still in stock. And you there get the bikes a lot cheaper then we get them. And then you are all waiting until the brevas 1100 get cleaned out for even less. So all buy a new one before Piaggio shuts down Guzzi in the USA

I don't think guzzi sold 10.000 bikes last year worldwide, but a lot less.

I think that's right.

I think they were celebrating PRODUCTION of 10,000 units, not SELLING 10,000 units.

:drink:

I would be shocked to see if this is repeated for the 2008-2009 sales year, based on the reaction of people to that dealer's choice to not make themselves available for service to Guzzi owners who attended the 2008 National Rally in Malibu after previously publicly stating that he would do so.

What's this about Sean?I missed this story.

What's this about Sean?I missed this story.

Thousand Oaks promised to support the out of town riders who attended the National Rally at Malibu back in June.

Many riders were turned away who needed simple things like tire changes because the dealer was too busy selling/delivering scooters.

There has been some debate on the issue on another Guzzi forum where the dealer actually chimed in and denied this, but the fact remains that a lot of riders were pissed off that they had to go to Japanese dealerships for service while in SoCal.

It'll be interesting to see how he fares in the aftermath of that SNAFU.