hard starting hot and cold

guzzi1

have an 03 lemans.13k on the odo. just began to require what i feel is excessive cranking to start.worst when cold but also when warm or hot.seems to run fine although reluctant to idle cold.just ordered new fuel filter which has never been changed.any ideas?bike is completely stock. also have another oddity.battery idiot light comes on sometimes at idle.sometimes flickers and sometimes bright.no charging issues to speak of besides the intermittent light.and $60 for a stock replacement fuel filter???????and $240 for stock replacement front brake pads???????i shop at calif speed sport and they're great people but man,where is a cheaper place to get parts.i live in sacramento ca. and any advice you guys can give me is appreciated.i really love my v11 and have a factory service manual but sometimes it feels like i live alone on guzzi island.and by the way i know there's a "dealership" in sac called good times but if you've never been there you don't know what the world's crappiest bike shop is and should consider yourself lucky.thx again,daveg

The charging issue could be as easy as too low idle. It should be around 1100-1200 rpm and some tachos read too high. The starting problem could be as easy as replacing spark plugs. If that does not help, maybe check valve lash and set to world spec if they are not already.

Filter, pads and other generic parts can often be found much cheaper at alternative places (NAPA, Ducati or Buell dealers etc etc). There should be a list of alternative parts somewhere in the forum but I can't remember seeing one.

Guest frankdugo

i'm with raz on the low idle for your light.when starting from cold,i usually let it prime twice[key on &off twice].engage the choke[injector enrichment].hold throtle open--about20% and if the battery is up it fires right up

i'll look at the parts link.thanx for that.the plugs are pretty new and the vlves are within spec.i have been lazy on the fuel filter though.just came in the mail today so saturday i'll change it and put another set of plugs in.i've never h a problem starting the bike even when it's 32 degrees or lower.this is a new problem.it acts like a check valve is not working and the fuel runs back to the tank.i know this isn;t possible bu that's what it acts like.with extra cranking it will start.the battery light is another subject.i turned the idle uo and it helps sometimes.at time it comes on brightly at 2500 or higher rpms.i think it's a bad sensor for the light.i've checked the voltageoutput and it's fine.maybe a loose wire somewhere i don't know.no other electrcal problem.one last thing.any one ever have the heim joint bolt that attaches the steering damper to the triple tree snap off ? thanx for input.daveg