Bevel drive pressure release valve

Gino Rondelli

Hi, new to this forum but not to Guzzi's. I recently bought a 2003 V11 sport which i really like. Last weekend myself & some pals toured the North of Scotland ( Gale force winds, pouring rain) and have to say the V11 was superb. However a pal from Cork in Southern ireland came over on his 01 Mandello Rosso and appeared at my house with oil over the wheel. A check before we left and it appears the inner seal (the one thats a pain to fix) was leaking. When we arrived at Applecross I decided to check the pressure release valve and lo & behold it didn't work, only though because there was a plastic cap over the end. The cap appeared to have a dimple where the hole should be. Anybody else had or heard of this? (My V11 doesn't have this cap on) Anyway its still leaking but not as bad, suspect the damage is already done!

Hi, new to this forum but not to Guzzi's. I recently bought a 2003 V11 sport which i really like. Last weekend myself & some pals toured the North of Scotland ( Gale force winds, pouring rain) and have to say the V11 was superb. However a pal from Cork in Southern ireland came over on his 01 Mandello Rosso and appeared at my house with oil over the wheel. A check before we left and it appears the inner seal (the one thats a pain to fix) was leaking. When we arrived at Applecross I decided to check the pressure release valve and lo & behold it didn't work, only though because there was a plastic cap over the end. The cap appeared to have a dimple where the hole should be. Anybody else had or heard of this? (My V11 doesn't have this cap on) Anyway its still leaking but not as bad, suspect the damage is already done!

there is no pressure relieve valve, only a hole in the top with a cap over it to keep dirt out. Air should freely flow trough it.

So should the cap have a hole in it? this one didn't and therefore created a pretty good seal.

BAsically all the vent is is a niple with a mushroom shaped shroud over it. Take it ut, carefully, and blow through it. It should flow air freely. If the mushroom shaped cover, which is there to help keep water out, is missing then it should have a hole in it but if that is the case I'd buy a new breather. It's not as if they are super-spendy.

Pete

Everything is as you guys say BUT over the mushroom was a rubber / Hard plastic cover with no hole which effectively sealed the mushroom. Just wondered if anyone else had seen this? Anyway thats whats caused the problem, the bike has only done 7000 Miles!

You have to clean this little part of the bike periodically to make sure that it doesnt get clogged full of road grime. When it gets so dirty that it wont do its job, the pressure builds up in there & the oil must go somewhere. My advice is to take it off every year or 8k miles or so & soak it in a cleaning solution & go over it with an old toothbrush. I dont know if someone modified that cap on your friens Rosso but there is supposed to be a cap on there to keep crud out of the bevel. I would not under any circumstances, ride the bike with a hole in the top of that cap! If the one you have has been modified or is broken, talk to one of our fine sponsors in here & get a new one.