best finish for rocker covers and alternator cover

rideblue1

Thanks all. You have certainly gave me food for thought as the saying goes.Just been out to the workshop to take off the alternator cover and all the bolts came out easily except one! It's seized solid so whilst I struggle with the little bugger I will think about what finish to give the cover if it ever comes off! :rolleyes:

So how did you get the siezed bolt out, i have the same problem but just gave up. :doh:

Gary

Hi Gary,in the end I carefully cut a new slot across the head of the bolt and was then able to use a much bigger screwdriver with more leverage. After a bit of a struggle it came out.I've now used stainless steel bolts with a hex head on and applied some copper grease.

So how did you get the siezed bolt out, i have the same problem but just gave up. :doh:

Gary

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,sorry for the delay and Happy New year to all forum members and their families.Hopefully there will be a picture with this post of the finished alternator cover,thanks,John.IMG_1628_2.JPG

Looks great John, but what are those horns???????

My best to your "D" too.

Dennis

Looks great John, but what are those horns???????

My best to your "D" too.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis and best wishes for the new year ahead. The horns are known as Hootaz and are made by an aftermarket firm called Motrax,not sure if they are available in your neck of the woods but they do give out a healthy dose of decibels! I think they are a copy of the Fiamm horns made in a similar style. John.

• 1 month later...
Thanks all. You have certainly gave me food for thought as the saying goes.Just been out to the workshop to take off the alternator cover and all the bolts came out easily except one! It's seized solid so whilst I struggle with the little bugger I will think about what finish to give the cover if it ever comes off! :rolleyes:

I had my Lemans Valve covers powder coated in gloss black years ago and it still looks as brilliant today as the day I did them. I remember the guy who did it say it was real bitch as oil kept leaching out of the pores and screwing up the finish. It took him several runs to get it right.