American Sportbike with transverse, longitudinal crank v-twin ?

hoytstaab

I always wondered wht they looked like under all that plastic. Fuel tank is interesting.

Guess I should not be surprised at a 'naked' one. Saw a fellow who had dropped his new Gold Wing bring it into a Honda dealer. Looked like superficial damage. The four body panels on one side were going to cost him $9000! He happily shelled out the money. So, there might be some good bargains out there for dropped bikes with only body damage. Unfortunately not any V11's :(

I saw a later Honda that looked like it had a V4 in the proper configuration. It had a lot of fairing around it so could not get a better look at it. Never saw one again so don't know if it was my imagination or not.

Honda ST1100 or ST1300.

700+ pounds of too-much-heat-for-a-liquid-cooled-bike. Oddly enough, complaints about excessive heat for the rider ended when Yamaha brought out their FJR1300, which then became the new bitch-queen for excessive heat in the moto rags...

Honda upped the displacement on the 1300 but still forgot to fix the problem w/ the fairing lowers being in the way of taller riders' knees, apparently! :luigi:

:lol:

I remember when the ST1100 was first on the sales floor back in '91? or so: I thought it was a beautiful big tourer and then I sat on it & realized that Honda botched it: tall seat height means tall riders, but no room for their knees mean no sales. Reliable bikes tho'; other than a few stator failures [chronic problem on Honda shafties for some reason], nobody ever seems to wear'em out like they do BMWs...

All the cops in my home town recently got new ST1300s to ride: I just about ran off the road when I spotted one! Not the brightest choice for in-town duties [Pasadena cops never get to take part in high-speed chases, poor guys! :D], but I'm sure Honda gave'em a great deal just to move stock. Some Buell Ulysses would have made a better choice [mileage, maintenance & maneuverability] plus have given them the opportunity to have more fun taking it up ACH! :thumbsup:

Stupid bean-counters never have any consideration for the real issues... ;)

Still, not likely to find them riding Guzzis any time soon, unless Piaggio makes some big push to penetrate the LE market Stateside [which wouldn't be a bad idea; at least we wouldn't get the "Who makes that?" comment so much if more motor cops were riding Guzzis... ]