Ferracci LED tailight options

Steve G.

So, after 3 yrs of my buddies telling me the tail light that comes equipped with the Ferracci tail light kit it virtually impossible to notice in daylight, and just somewhat visible at night, I've finally been given notice by way of warning from the local constabulary that it must go. Why I didn't get a huge fine that is available for them to use here in Metro Vancouver, must be my good manner and using "Sir" alot.

Anyways, I still would like to retain the stainless bracketry with the kit, which locates the turn indicators quite close for a nice trim look. But the Schumacher LED light must be replaced by a non-led light, or an LED light which shoots it's beams in a wide spectrum for proper visibility.

Any thoughts on options? The light itself is quite small in size, and attempts to locate the original light onto the Ferracci bracket, well, there's just no room.

Steve

So, after 3 yrs of my buddies telling me the tail light that comes equipped with the Ferracci tail light kit it virtually impossible to notice in daylight, and just somewhat visible at night, I've finally been given notice by way of warning from the local constabulary that it must go. Why I didn't get a huge fine that is available for them to use here in Metro Vancouver, must be my good manner and using "Sir" alot.

Anyways, I still would like to retain the stainless bracketry with the kit, which locates the turn indicators quite close for a nice trim look. But the Schumacher LED light must be replaced by a non-led light, or an LED light which shoots it's beams in a wide spectrum for proper visibility.

Any thoughts on options? The light itself is quite small in size, and attempts to locate the original light onto the Ferracci bracket, well, there's just no room.

Steve

LED_light.jpg

is it like this ?

is the surface area too small (legally) or is it just that it does not produce enough light ?

If its the amount of light could you open it and add more LED's at different angles to give a greater angle ?

I fitted a LED bulb to my std rear light and then broke open another bulb and mounted the individual LED's into the reflector to give a better coverage and as an added advantage should the bulb fail I should still have a light on the rear :D

My bike had the same setup installed when I bought it, and has the same issues as well. It's just not enough all the way around. There's alot of people making aftermarket led panels that fit into original sockets, mostly for the classic car scene. I bought them for my '64 Chevy truck. I wonder if they couldn't custom make one for the stock housing?

LED_light.jpg

is it like this ?

is the surface area too small (legally) or is it just that it does not produce enough light ?

If its the amount of light could you open it and add more LED's at different angles to give a greater angle ?

I fitted a LED bulb to my std rear light and then broke open another bulb and mounted the individual LED's into the reflector to give a better coverage and as an added advantage should the bulb fail I should still have a light on the rear :D

Yes this is the unit I have. It seems to me from feedback that the pattern of LED's inside the unit has made the light too "directional", as in it's great and very bright if you are directly behind the light unit at the right height. But step to one side and it's virtually as if the light unit is off.

Vibration has rendered this unit cracked as well, so splitting it open to introduce more LED's at a spread pattern is not going to happen. I'm looking to get a standard light again, and maybe install a single LED bulb light within it. I'm looking at a small one to fit within the smaller compact area the Ferracci kit has for a light.

Steve

I do have the bracket in question and yes you have to keep an eye on the bracket cause they tend to crack. What I did for the poor lighting install the tag cover with the led bar across the bottom wired in with tail and brake lights makes the rear singals alot more visiable. I dont know who makes the bracket it came with my bike when i bought it. If my bracket breaks agin i will have to come up a diffrent plan in the rear. I will not buy on from ferracci again there way to slow it took about 2 months to ship the part due to back order issues they say.

I'm still looking for another option, but in the meantime, I've re-installed the original unit, at least I won't get fined by the RCMP [Revenue Collection Mobile Patrol]. Crappy looking thing really, but it works. Also I have to re-modify the Tecno soft pannier rack which I modified for the Ferraci kit.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

I would suggest getting an LED turn signal controller that turns on both directional lights with the tail/brake light. With three lights lit it should be plenty bright.

FWIW there are a bunch of aftermarket rice bike tail lights that may do the trick for you - I've got an R6 unit that fits inside the flat tracker seat on my RD400.

Joe

I'm not sure I know what the endgame is here.

Do you want an LED light because you don't like bulbs?

Do you just want something different from stock?

Search "DUCATI MONSTER TAILLIGHT" on Ebay and you'll find LED versions of the stock taillight that the V11 shares with the Ducati...

On my wifes V11 we have an LED tail light made for a Suzuki DRZ 400. It happened because I have a DRZ and could see that the taillight I got for it woul fit the RossoPuro bracket on the bike. Just drill two holes and it's there. It is plenty bright, I think brighter then the stock unit. It even has a tag light and comes in red or clear.

It's called the Edge taillight (not Edge2) from Wheeling Cycle Supply.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?ac...y&cat_id=72

It unbolts from the bracket it comes with and uses two bolts to attach to the bracket. I plan on trying to get one from them without the bracket but don't know yet if they will sell it that way.

On my wifes V11 we have an LED tail light made for a Suzuki DRZ 400. It happened because I have a DRZ and could see that the taillight I got for it woul fit the RossoPuro bracket on the bike. Just drill two holes and it's there. It is plenty bright, I think brighter then the stock unit. It even has a tag light and comes in red or clear.

It's called the Edge taillight (not Edge2) from Wheeling Cycle Supply.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?ac...y&cat_id=72

It unbolts from the bracket it comes with and uses two bolts to attach to the bracket. I plan on trying to get one from them without the bracket but don't know yet if they will sell it that way.

That looks like it would fit in place of the gawky plastic tail light mount/plate mount on a V11. Have you looked at it in that way? Joe