tachometer from Balabio to early V11

moto pierre

The 'low fuel' warning light on my '01 V11 has not worked once since I bought it new in '01. Several visits to the shop garnered not even a flicker. And I know I've been on extreme fumes at least 4 times.

Hey, It's italian electrics, just grin.

Steve

The fuel light on my 03 no longer works so I just keep track of mileage using the odometer. The tach from the billybob should work as long as its the same general age bike. From 03 on (i think) they went to ITI instruments which most likely won't work on earlier machines.

• 2 weeks later...
It should work, unless the ITI models use different ECU then Veglia models.

Well I guess I'll try it since I own it now. The connector is different but I can work around that. Also no case ground as the entire shell is plastic. Just the dinky black ground wire in the harness. Fuel warning light has miraculously returned I did get colored idiot lights covers which were missing on my salvage V-11, but the later version has 2 turn indicators (R & L) and no gen light, so now a left turn indicates no alternator output. Very Italian, n'est pas?

I'll report on the tach when It's hooked up

Well I guess I'll try it since I own it now. The connector is different but I can work around that. Also no case ground as the entire shell is plastic. Just the dinky black ground wire in the harness. Fuel warning light has miraculously returned I did get colored idiot lights covers which were missing on my salvage V-11, but the later version has 2 turn indicators (R & L) and no gen light, so now a left turn indicates no alternator output. Very Italian, n'est pas?

I'll report on the tach when It's hooked up

Pierre,

Is this the same setup you have inquired about in your other posts? If so , you stated you sent it (the tach) off to Palo Alto and they reported it OK. Are you SURE there is not a wiring problem in the harness?

• 3 weeks later...
Pierre,

Is this the same setup you have inquired about in your other posts? If so , you stated you sent it (the tach) off to Palo Alto and they reported it OK. Are you SURE there is not a wiring problem in the harness?

Yes, It's the same problem. I ran the bike yesterday and the "new" tach didn't work either. I have continuity from the ECU plug to he instrument in the signal wire (yellow/black). The black ground wire is truly and thoroughly grounded. Oddly, with the key off the tach power wire (red/black) shows continuity to ground, but with the key on it shows 12 volts and there is no short to ground. I assume a relay opens when the key goes on, but I can't figure out which it is.

Does anyone have a chart showing which of the 5 relays on my bike (2000 V11) is which. I remember seeing one, but can't find it.

Gene I'll call you as you offered to talk about this mystery.