molykote is assembly lube?

JoeV11

I asked a local machine shop if they had any molykote and he gave me a tube of ARP rod bolt assembly lube. It says it's a "superior moly lube", but will it work in my rear end bevel box? I just drained it and added Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 gear oil in there now. Thanks, Joe

Are we talkin' a oily liquid molybdenum additive?, or a tube of moly paste, used for assembling motor components that will then stay lubed for a long period of time until the first fire-up and the regular motor oil starts doing it's regular thing? :doh:(...of course you could also try "Redline Shock Proof Heavy" and forget the additive all together, I love the stuff so far...)

ARP Superior Moly Lube is only meant for lubricating the threads and contact surface of fasteners for more accurate torque specs by minimizing friction. I wouldn't use it for anything other then that.

It sounds like that probably isn't what you're after.

I've been running a Motul Full Synthetic without an additive, and so far so good. I might give the Redline a shot this time around.

Guest ratchethack
Does anyone actually run moly in the modern bevel boxes?

Yep. Many do. It's recommended by the Pro's for use with dino gear lube. Unless otherwise specified, as with Redline NS, Any GL-5 synthetic gear lube designed for use in automotive hypoid gear applications will have friction modifiers that make the use of moly additive unnecessary for use in the bevel drive. It won't do any harm to add it to GL-5 synth, but it won't do any good either. :helmet:

When I got to work today there was an email from Dow saying the moly sample I requested was being shipped. So no reason to use any questionable stuff in my gearbox. Now I am waiting for Valvoline to answer my request for information on the need for anything. In the mean time, I'll see if the gear oil label says GL-5. Thanks, Joe

Well there you go - I got an email from the valvoline techs today as well as a quart sample of Dow-Corning Moly.

Here is what valvoline had to say, and it is rated GL-5/MT-1:

From investigation, it looks like the additive is going to be Agip Rocol ASO/R or a Molykote Type 4. Either way, these two products look to be an additive required for the extreme pressure properties of the fluids. Our SynPower Full Synthetic SAE 75w90 does contain EP additives, but nothing that is matching up to the specifications of each of these additives, therefore we would still recommend using the additive with our synthetic gear oil product.

So I'll be putting in the moly shortly.

Joe